Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM J-Bass Vs MIM P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marty, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Marty

Marty

Nov 25, 2003
    What's better value Fender Standard MIM Jazz Bass or Fender MIM P-Bass?

2. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    If you really want to buy a non USA Fender I highly recommend a MIJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass. Better quality and tone that can kill. If you are determined on getting a MIM Fender than get a Fender Zone, better than the P and jazz combined.

Tell us your price range, the style of music you play, big hands, small hands etc. The more info you give, the better advice these fine folks can give you.

3. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    I second the Geddy Lee. Its on my list of Jazz basses to own. Not to hi-jack your thread but, Has anyone tried this new fender s-1 switch? Maybe you should get a bass with one of those...you can get a jazz sound out of a P-Bass or vice versa, so they say.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    It really depends on what you're looking for. Both are good values IMO/IME... The biggest caveat would be to try before you buy if at alll possible as quality varies, (as with any mass-produced item)...

I've owned 2 J's that were very nice players right off the rack...

FWIW

-robert

5. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Does anyone have any experience with the Zone versus the American Deluxe Zone . . . I know the difference is in the wood and the pickups (2 humbuckers vs. p/j), but sound-wise is the American Deluxe worth the extra 6 or 700 bucks?

6. appler

appler Guest

They're both of equal value. Although the Precision costs less, they both have the same bang for your buck. The main point is which feels/sounds best to you. ;) Go play them at a music shop and see! :bassist:

7. if you are gonna get a mex fender why not get an essex or brice instead

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Essex/Brice are better then MIM fenders, and cheaper.

But the P bass and J bass are same quality, but different.

Jazz = slimmer neck'
    P = fatter neck

Jazz = 2 single coil
    P = one split humbucker

P= punchy sound

9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I owned one of these are regret selling it. It was nice and smooth like butter (sorry for the cliche). As far as a sound comparison I wouldn't know. Nobody brings in the American Zone around here. In fact, both are special order here. I do know that it is impressive and versatile. Very light as well. You can't go wrong with the Mexican Zone IMO.

Dan

10. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    Brice makes better basses than MIM Fenders?

11. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    In Figjam's, (and many others'), opinion... I myself prefer an MIM Fender, but again... opinion...

-robert

12. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I just traded in an Ibanez SRX705 for a MIM Fender P-bass. I know some of you might consider that idiotic but I have no regrets. I just prefer the passive sound and didn't want to play a 5 string anymore. Neither bass is better than the other, it's all about taste. Definitely more people will recommend the jazz because admittedly it is more versatile than a P. But the one sound a P does it does very well. I'm a P-bass man all the way!!!!! :bassist:

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well dont get me wrong, i have played SOME MIMs that are really nice, but most that..arent. I feel they suffer from some of the same faults.

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    In general, I love Mexi Fenders...you do have to play them before you buy them as I've played some pretty bad ones.

I bought my MIM P bass from Guitar Center as a used instrument. It needed some serious neck adjustment when I got it and I wasn't sure whether it could be set up properly. A slight adjustment of the truss rod turned this semi-awful Mexi-P into a extremely wonderful Mexi-P. I've had it for about three years now and it continues to be one of my top two basses (along with a 5 string J Bass with a custom built neck).

A couple years ago, I bought an Am Hot Rodded P Bass...maple fingerboard, transparent orange ash body... very nice bass but when it came down to it, my Mexi P had more soul, so I sold the Am P, and never regretted it.

My first bass was a brand new 1974 P Bass and that instrument didn't hold a candle to my Mexi P in terms of tone and playability.

I guess my point is that if you get a good one, and it's what you want (a no frills tried and true electric bass) you can be very happy with one.

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I also got a used MIM p-bass but from Sam Ash. I payed $237.00 bucks for it. the "E" saddle was all the way down and not adjusted, thus laying on the neck. The rest of the bass was in pristine condition. I got this bass to mod and experiment on, well for two years it remained stock until I broke one of the pot stems replacing a pickguard. I replaced both pots then decided to add Lindy Fralin pups. People bash MIM basses when they go to places like GC. They say the setups are horrible, well if you have kids beating on you all day and night with a less than ideal humidity you have a recipe for disaster. I seen new KSD basses with frets lifting out of the fretboard, G&L tribute basses with sharp frets (really sharp) due to climate. I have two MIM basses I bought new that came in the box and both were fine setup, intonation, finish and sound wise. When these people go to these big stores (musical supermarkets) they think every instrument they touch will be immune from abuse. It's like going to the supermarket and seeing dented cans on the shelf, we tend to pass those by. Those basses on the shelf should just reflect what is in stock and should not be 100% indicative of what the new bass will be like.

16. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Not at all Figjam... Sorry if I came across that way. Your opinion is every bit as valid as mine or anybody else's :cool:

lotsa folks say great things about the Essex/Brice basses so I totally believe that there is something there. It comes down to choice... FWIW, I've also played some really nasty MIMs... Mostly just in need of a loving setup, but probably a few that required more...

-robert

17. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    As for Essex basses I will only say the SX P I bought is not bad for a 100 dollar bass but in no way compares to the build quality of my MIM Jazz.

The difference in MIM Jazz and P are the pickups and possibly some setup. Both of which p or jazzes I have tried have been very good for the most part. Play them and get what sound you prefer.

tk

18. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    Play one of each and you will know :D ,I am a huge fan of the japanese fenders,I will give you some of my experiences and lessons learned.
    Though there are good and bad ones in both models but I feel like your chances of having a better quality bass comes from the japanese models.
    I have had some disappointments with the newer model japan models but recommend the ones from the 80's and early 90's,some of them can compare with american models from there era and exceed as well.
    I myself own an 80's p-bass that is the envy of all my fellow bassers,and most did'nt know it was japanese till I told them(and a few did'nt believe me)its craftsmanship is without parrell and sounds full and rich with a punch like MIKE TYSON.
    And one the other hand I bought a G.Lee j-bass that had a neck like a wet noodle which was so bad it could'nt be repaired unless sent to a luthier and completely redone(and there was no gaurantee it would be a good playing bass,and this was a famous bass /guitar tech).
    And on to the Mex,I have owned a few that were a decent player,and some that were a complete P.O.S. :crying:,while one the other hand my buddy has Mex j-bass that he h/rodded all up and it plays and sounds like a j-bass should.
    My preference is with the japanese,yes you can search around for a mex that plays well and you will probably find one,but know this that they do use lower quality wood so in the long hall they dont hold up to wear and tear(everyone I played both good and bad have had fretts sticking out the side of the neck)While the japanese basses are better with age.
    So if I were you I would go play a few of each and decide for yourself what bass is for you,just look and see what bass players have thier own model in the mexican,and who has a japanese model bass.THEN YOU TELL ME ! :D