1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM J with Ultra Jazz pups and audere JZE... Need shielding?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kevinh, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Kevinh

Kevinh

Jul 25, 2007
    I'm about to spend most of my paycheck upgrading my MIM Jazz Bass V... I'm getting Ultra J's, an audere JZ3, and a leo Quan V bridge. I'm taking it in to get all of that installed and setup porofessionally.. since it hasnt been setup in 2 years. I thought they would give me a deal to do it all. So anyways my question is with all of that... how much would my bass benefit from a really good shielding job using copper foil like the sticky shows you how to do? I'm thinking it will be pretty silent after all of the mods but what do you guys think? Thanks! :bassist:

2. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry

May 24, 2007
    You'll find that the Ultra Jazz pups are quiet and sound great.
    Having done all of these upgrades, I certainly would make sure the bass is shielded as well as possible. Why not have the cleanest/quietest signal possible? The additional cost will be minimal...

You're gonna love the bass after these mods...

Jim Roseberry
    www.studiocat.com
    jim@studiocat.com

3. Kevinh

Kevinh

Jul 25, 2007
    this is true.. I might as well do it while I have everything out... and it would make my electronics pretty perfect... for what I can afford anyways.

And I think I'm going to love the bass too... since my band took a break for the summer I have also purchased my first rig (ampeg b2re with SVT 410HLF cab)... the low end is going to be completley different now come fall... :hyper:

4. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Shielding is a very easy job and it pays good benefits. I'd certainly do it if I were you! :)

5. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I ran Ultra J's without shielding and an audere pre. I was silent. FWIW, it can wait. The audere is easy to work with if you need to remove the electronics to shield the bass.

My suggestion is the paint on stuff. Easier to work with, and makes a better shield without using solder.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    + 1

You can never have too much shielding, IMO. Noise-free is a very good thing...

MM

7. Kevinh

Kevinh

Jul 25, 2007
    Thanks guys, I think I will shield if I get some days off before I get all this installed. I will post pics after everything is done :hyper: