Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Jazz 5 or Ibanez BTB405

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5s_tring freak, Jul 11, 2001.

1. As some of you may have read, I had my main 5 string bass stolen. I have hunted around and have found two basses to choose from. The MIM Jazz 5 string is the best I have ever played. I like it more than most MIA Jazz basses that I have played. The neck is the best neck I've played on a Fender.

I also tried a BTB 405. This was also a beautiful instrument. But the mid pot made a scratching sound when I moved it slightliy. And I fear that the 35' scale will make my hand ache a little on the gigs where I play 3+ sets.

The insurance payout I am getting is $1400 New Zealand currency. The Jazz is exactly that price, and the BTB is $1695

Any advice/comments/suggestions?

2. I like the necks on the MIM Jazz basses as well for some reason. they feel better than the MIA for sure, maybe because there's no graphite reinforcement there. i haven't played a BTB, but some people here have some pretty good things to say about them.

3. I'd get the BTB, but then again, I'm just me.

4. Well, i think you should go for whatever you want. It's the only solution.

5. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I would go for the Ibanez and have the shop fix the mid pot before you buy it.

6. I'd go for the BTB cause it has a tighter B. But as fleabass said, "im just me"

7. First of all 5s_tring freak, sorry to hear about your loss. Between the two I prefer the BTB, but, this is just my opinion. I was going to buy a BTB about 3 weeks ago, money in hand, when a 5 string Yamaha
    shot a hole in that plan. If you really like the Jazz( and it sounds like you do) then get the Jazz. Don't go by specs, go by feel and sound. These will not lie to you. The part you mentioned about the scratchy pot, does this mean they only have one BTB in the store? When I bought my Yamaha, the guy tried to sell me the floor model (something that usually doesn't bother me) but the floor model's tone knob pot was bent. He said it was the last one in the store; it was, but, they had 5 brand new ones in the box at their other store 1/2 hour away.
    I paid for it in Manhattan, then picked up a new one in Queens. My point: Never show a salesman that you're too smitten with ANY instrument, they'll use it against you. If there aren't many stores near where you live, consider buying online. It may take a few weeks for you to get your axe, but, it will probably be mint. It's easier said than done, but, never rush when buying a bass; you may regret it later.

Hope you get a good 'un.
    Mike J.

8. There were two BTB500 4 strings and they both had the mid pot problem. The BTB1006 didn't have the problem, but that is out of my price range.

After hunting through 30+ music stores around the country, I have decided to buy the MIM Jazz. I went to the shop and played for 1/2 and hour today, and loved it even more. I think I picked one of the good MIM Jazzes. I layed down a deposit, and I should have it within a week I my insurance payout comes through on time.