1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM Jazz Bass Advice Needed, Help Me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThirstyMonkey, Dec 11, 2011.

1. ThirstyMonkey

ThirstyMonkey

Jun 27, 2011
    So I've begun playing bass in a local band (reformed guitar player). I played an American J-bass in my high school jazz band, so I went out and bought two "new to me" MIM jazz basses. One is a 1999 Standard, the other is a 2007 Deluxe. I bought each guitar for $250, so I feel I got a really great deal. SInce I saved a little cash, I want to make some mods, but lack the experience to do it right.

The band I'm in does primarily covers of classic rock tunes with some more modern pop/rock thrown in (everything from the Rolling Stones to Pink).

PICKUPS: I love the active PUPs on the deluxe, but want to replace the PUPs on the standard. I understand the uniform sizing issue on the pre-2000 MIM standards. I searched for replacement advice, but kept pulling up older posts. Any recommendations for passive replacement pickups that will fit without modifying the body cavity and have the "classic" j-bass tone?

BRIDGE: I intend to replace the bridgesand BadAss replacement bridges seem to be very popular. Is this a good choice or are there better/less expensive options.

STRINGS: For my guitar I used GHS Boomers, in an extra light gauge. I need to re-string both basses, but have no real experience selecting strings. What brands/gauges do you all recommend for an all purpose cover band situation.

COSMETIC: Okay so this last area is completely superficial, but I like to personalize my instruments. First I want to change to volume/tone knobs with precision style knobs. Easy enough to do with the standard, but more difficult with the deluxe since one of the pots has dual posts (lower ring for bass eq/upper for treble). I've seen precisions with active PUPs so I know the knobs must exist, but I can find any in my local stores or online.

I also want to change the pick guard on each. The standard is midnight wine and the deluxe is black. I'd love to have a black pearloid on the standard and a wine/maroon pearloid on the deluxe. Basically have them be reverse coloring (and I know some of you are thinking, that's a horriblke color combination. It might be, but it's what I want.) I'm having no problem finding the black pearloid, but cannot find the wine/maroon. Any suggestions?

I know this is a lot of advice to seek in one post, but I've been lurking on this site long enough to know that some of you really know what you're talking about and I'm hoping you can help me.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.