Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Jazz Bass hums

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mike N, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I just bought a MIM Jazz Bass (as a backup to my MIA Jazz) and it hums,even with both volume controls turned up all the way.None of my other basses do this,Ive tried different amps and no change.Went back to the music store I bought it at,and the other two MIM's they had did the same thing.We even plugged into one of those "hum eliminator" boxes,and they still hummed.I can bury some of the hum by turning the tone knob down,but then Im killing the sound as well.I realize this isnt a top of the line bass,but I dont think it should do this.Anyone else run into this? Solution? Thanks.

2. The fix for your problem is probably that the innards of your bass need to be shielded. Either by paint or metal plating, the wires and pots in your bass are pretty hot and are interfered with by wiring in your house, lights, and other electrical things...You might want some other comments from other TBers before you go and do something you might regret to your bass!

3. Register_To_Disable

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It could be something like in a particular batch of basses they made, they for got to add a groung to the bridge, or something. Then again, the MIM pick-up's aren't the best in the world. I bought a MIM Jazz once & put EMG's in it. I hve EMG in almost all of my basses. :) Quietest pick-up's!!!

5. The stock MIM pickups are not humbucking at all, and as one person said, they hum like a hive full of bees on crack. Americans are humbucking when both volumes are turned up, like you said. I don't think shielding will get you all the way to hum-free. I changed pickups on both of my cheapy jazzes. DiMarzio DP123. Split Coil humbucking, good sound. I didn't need to shield after that. See my profile.

Actually, don't see my profile, I just checked it, and there is no gear info to be found. Crazy.

Chris

[Edited by throbbinnut on 02-06-2001 at 08:44 AM]

6. BernardJohnson

BernardJohnson

Jan 9, 2001
    I have a MIM Jazz and I added SD Basslines pickups, also added a Badass bridge and grounded it, that stopped the hum for me.....now I can adjust the tone however needed.

BJ

7. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

Which SD pickups did you install? I believe they make a
    "stacked" humbucked jazz pickup. I've read elsewhere
    that replacing the MIM pickups can be a bit troublesome.
    Did you run into any problems?

I just bought a MIM Fender Jazz, and may do the usual
    upgrades (pups, bridge, j-retro). Everyone needs a
    project! ;-)

-Red

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    When I installed the EMG's in my MIM, the bridge P/U hole was a little too small for the pick-up to fit. I routed it out slightly & it was fine. I'm not sure about Duncans. I have a P-bass with Duncan 1/4 lb P/J & they sound great.