Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Jazz Bass - Necks or Bridges?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tplyons, Mar 15, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For the longest time I thought the older MIM Jazz Basses had two bridge pickups, but someone just measured and said they were neck pickups. Which are they?

2. I think they might have been neck pickups, but a few years ago, they changed them back to the neck/bridge configuration, as I'm sure you know........

3. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Are the pick-ups available separately; that is can I purchase just (2) neck pups or are they only available as a set (neck/bridge)?

4. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Got it Smash. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Hammer

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    One thing you should be aware of... ...If you buy two neck pups, they will be wound the same way (instead of one being reverese wound) and you will lose hum-cancelling ability when both pups are "on".

I don't know if reversing the connections on one of the pups will solve this problem or not, as I've never tried to use two Jazz neck pickups together...?

6. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Surely someone somewhere sells a pair of J's in a neck + bridge setup that are equal length ?

Both my Neck and Bridge Jazz pups on my 70's copy are 94.6mm, and its the reason i havent upgraded them to something better. A neck placed in the bridge is just not the ticket really.

But most sets sold as a pair always have the bridge longer than the neck, so no upgrade

7. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    ....Thanks Slater. Appreciate the heads-up. I wasn't aware of that.

Hi Magus: I think Aero Instrument sells them to fit the MIM's but I don't know much about them sonically. I've read some reviews them that seemed favorable, but that can be so subjective, not sure I want to put out for those on a maybe.

Probably my best bet is to get what I want for it and just have a pro do the routing and insertion.

Thanks for the advise/information.

Cheers,
    Hammer

8. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I'm thinking the same... get a pair and rout the small pocket for the slightly larger pup

9. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    The only reason I know is that I had to route the bridge pu slot to fit a set of standard Barts to my 1996 MIM Jazz. The neck Bart fit the neck slot perfectly.

10. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    BTW - The routing job took all of 5 minutes with a dremel tool and only that long because it was the first time I had ever done any wood cutting.
    Really easy.
    Why limit your possibilities.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I don't doubt that it's a fairly easy modification to the body. However, Dimarzio does offer a set of Model J's in neck/bridge configurations in the MIM sizes I believe. I think that's what I'm going to go with.

12. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Whoa !! Big problem..

I measured my PUPs and they're 94.6mm each = 3.72". Now isnt that the size or there abouts, of the largest Standard fender or replacement PUP in the bridge ?

Are the stock sizes about 3.4 + " and 3.6 + " ??

This means , i'll have a Pup floating about in the neck pocket thats too big ?

Argggggghhhhh :help:

13. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Hmmm...

Just seen BestBassGears measurements on the DP149 Ultra Jazz pair and they're 3.73 " for the bridge ( no problemo there ) and 3.6" for the neck. I'm wondering if a PUP @ 3.6" was sat in a pocket that had a PUP of 3.72" in there would look lost ??

14. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    Just for grins I checked out the Bart site. I was surprised to find that where jazz pickups are the same size, they are usually the bridge size, like yours. In a MIM I had them the same but they were the neck size.
    In any case, you are talking about 1/8" difference. I don't think it would look lost.
    Thought this site would be of interest.
    http://www.bartolini.net/special_instruments/mfgs_jj.htm

15. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Hey thanks !

Yeah i guess i need 2 bridges, ( in size ). But if i can find some that come close as a pair, like the Barts or Dim Ultras, then thats me sorted.

I'm just not prepared to stick a Pup thats wired for bridge output, into a neck cavity