1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM Jazz - Bridge Replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stodgers, Jul 31, 2012.

1. stodgers

stodgers

Jul 10, 2005
    Columbus, MT
    Hey all,

So I got all the way through a rebuild on an '03-'04 Agave Blue MIM Jazz that I was taking from fretted to fretless (neck swap), and as part of that I took the saddles off another MIM Jazz - the one I took the neck from. The saddles on my '04 were dull and contrasted against the shine of my Kent Armstrong p/us, Audere control plate, and pearloid pickguard (yes, I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I knew the fretless I was pilfering from was older, but what I didn't realise was this: I think the saddles are smaller.

I know late 90's MIM Jazz basses had issues with the pickups being the same size, but does this mean they adjusted string spacing with smaller saddles? I notice that the sides of them don't touch one another now, which likely means there could be side to side movement leading to intonation issues.

So my question is this: am I imagining this, or do I need to get different saddles? Or, am I SOL and need a new bridge altogether? I'm not a big fan of the older Fender bridges that don't have grooves to hold saddles in pace anyway...

Thoughts?

2. stodgers

stodgers

Jul 10, 2005
    Columbus, MT
  3. stodgers

stodgers

Jul 10, 2005
    Columbus, MT
    No insights on either the bridge or Tusq saddles?

4. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    As of late, all my F-typr basses are getting vintage threaded saddle bridges. IMO, they work best at getting strings right where you want 'em. Selling off my Badass bridges and not looking back.

I have used Tusq nuts and saddles on guitars, worked well. No exp on bass with 'em, though.

Also, no info on differing saddle sizes.

Good luck.

wraub