Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Jazz Delux 5 or Ibanez 405?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joel the bass player, Dec 23, 2000.

1. I am planning on buying a 5 string soon, and these are some that I have been looking at. I know I want active electronics but I don't know if I sould stay Loyal to Fender or jump off the ship.

Any opinions would help.

2. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ive only played the MIM Active J 4 not the 5.I think its superb!In case your not aware,it has the exact same elecs as the 99 MIA Dlx J.Very potent sounding bass!I prefer those pups(low noise) to the new "noiseless" pups that have replaced them.A mistake IMHO.They were going for a more vintage sound which,to some extent they achieved but it just doesnt work with the active elecs.More work needed on these id say.As to the B string i just cant say not having played the 5 version.Good luck!

3. I know that for a slight cost upgrade the sr485 is a very good 5-stringer with the 5 peice nech and mohagany body, It is very clear sounding and the scale length is nice and long.

4. Fender MIM 5's have floppy B strings, which are bad if you actually plan on using the B string. Thats why if i were you i'd go for the ibanez. Ibanez B strings are tighter, and have better feel (IMO of course)

5. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I've got a really excellent MIM 5 str Dlx jazz in CAR. It's a great bass, best B I've found on a Fender. The pups and electronics are very good, nice wide string spacing. Way better than any Ibanez 5 I've played. I really don't play five anymore though. If you are interested in it, drop me an email and maybe we can work something out.

RS
    bass4life@hotmail.com

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Tough decision. 2 very different basses.

Reasons I would pick the Fender - Better resale value, better tone.

Reasons I would pick the Ibanez, marginally better fit & finish(unless you find a really great MIM J) and better B string.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I would go with and did in fact chose the fender over the ibanez, my reasons were i think the fenders have a much deeper and better sounding tone than the ibanez's do, and that they are constructed much better. I think fenders also retain there value a bit better than the ibanez do, but that had nothing to do with why i bought them over ibanez.

8. I personally would go with the Fender but I have to ask. RS are you from another planet or something. MIM 5 Fenders have always had bad B strings. The MIAs aren't the best but they're better. You must have got the best Fender Active 5string out of Mexico.

9. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    "You must have the best Fender Active out of Mexico"

Well maybe I do. It is the active version with the American active pups. The neck is very nice I had it set up properly with the right gauge of strings so the B is fairly tight and loud. It's impossible to generalize about mass produced basses- each one is potentially different. So to say across the board that all MIAs are better than any MIM is really absurd. No, it does sound like the B on a Modulus or Zon, but for under a grand it's a very good five.