MIM Jazz Delux?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joel the bass player, Dec 1, 2000.

1. I have been thinking about getting a mim jazz delux. I wanted a bass that had some active electronics in it, and that didn't cost too much. I have owned a mim squire jazz, and i thought it played pretty well after a pro tuneup and some new strings, besides the bad pickups. I tried one out, but the neck needed serious adjustments, along with the bridge. Not to mention it was at mars and has been touched by a million people. I might order one from mf again, because I have found that that I like the fact that when I get I will have been the first person to ever touch it. SAince I do have some money I have thought of putting a d-tuner or somtething like that on it and a bad ass 2 bridge, but I dont know if it is worth buying that bass, because I am not very good at tooling on my basses, even though I have done minor work on my pbass. If you have any ideas I would shure like the help.
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    OK, what do you want to know?

First, why do you want active electronics? I'm personally no fan of the Fender Jazz active circuit (had an MIA Jazz Deluxe and sold it) but it is better than a lot of imported active setups. I own both active and passive basses and have no real prefernce, I just care if it sounds good and on the active ones I seldom make use of the EQ anyway.

If you bend strings, you should know that the Deluxe pickups have single poles, not double poles like a normal Jazz, so when you bend notes, you can get a volume drop which gets worse the higher you are on the neck.

Second, if your first thought is to upgrade some of the hardware, why not look for a bass that has better hardware on it anyway? I don't understand the idea of buying a new bass and immediately replacing a bunch of the parts.

You did mention you'd like to have an untouched instrument, but I should point out you could get a better used bass for less than the price of a new MIM Deluxe never mind the new hardware. Here's an example: http://www.bassnw.com/Used Basses/guild_advanced_pilot.htm

Just things to think about.

3. I was just wondering if anyone had suggestions for basses in the 450-600 dollar range that sound good slapping. my preference is new, but I could go otherwise.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I lean heavily towards used. I have 2 MIA Jazz Deluxe fives that were $500 and $550 and were indistinguishable from new when I got them. They just cost less. Not sure what the downside would be. If you prefer new you could almost buy one for what I paid for two. Your call.
  5. I never really thought about the bending, but I am not the best at it yet, so in time i could put some better pups in it.
  6. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    The Deluxe Active Jazz is a good choice! The etronics in them are very hot, the bass has excellent bottom end, warm mids, and crip highs. With some minor adjustments to make it play just right, there is nothing you cant do on them, they have excellent slap and pop tones, you can play rock, funk, jazz, metal, anything on them, they are very versatile, I believe the pickups on them are also stacked humbukers, and they are very very quiet in any selection that you want to use them in. As far as the string bending, I really wouldnt worry to much about signal cutoff, it shouldnt be that much of a factor. For the money they charge for them I think they give you the best bang for your buck. The bridge is a bit on the weekside but doesnt really pose any intonation problems. Im really suprised to hear that MARS gave you a floor model (at least I think its a floor model cos you said peeps had played it) Down here as in Virginia they had a warehouse in the store and will go back there and get you one that noone has touched yet. Well good luck in your quest. By the way if you didnt know this that bass comes with a gig bag so make them give you one.