1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM Jazz Deluxe Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Burnttwaffle, May 3, 2010.

1. Burnttwaffle

Burnttwaffle

May 19, 2009
    First let me preface this by saying i did do a search, and that helped answer a few of my questions but i'm now left with a few more.

I was told my entire preamp was shot. When i plugged it in i would get no notes out just high pitched screams and squeals. Sound like a broken preamp?

Instead of buying a whole new preamp, i think i just want to wire it with a passive VVT and my question is am i soposed to use the 250k pots i've seen in diagrams or something else? What pots are good ones to get? How much would something like this cost for a professional to do out of curiosity, although i'll most likely try it myself with a friends guidance. And finally, what should i do with the whole that is going to be left from where the current output jack is, after i move the output from the side to the front of the bass.

Thanks guys :)

2. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    If it were my bass, I'd take the jack off (stop it!) and make sure it was done right. Almost sounds like the "battery on" cable (which should be attached to the ring terminal) is connected to the tip terminal and vice versa. Or all three could be bad! All I can tell you is I have messed that up in the past and it made awful noises like what you described.

Start with the jack. It sounds like your problem.
    If that fails, try a new jack ($8 at the most, cheaper than 3 pots and a cap).
    If that fails, start looking at what may be wired wrong in the system. If you have to, remove it and try again.

If all else fails, buy 3 250k pots, a cap, and a jack and look up "jazz bass wiring diagram" and go to town!

3. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I think rojo412 has some good troubleshooting suggestions. Who told you the preamp was shot, by the way? It wouldn't hurt to have a(nother) tech look at it.

Also, why do you want to move the output jack?

4. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I'd do a VTVT setup if I had the extra hole. Or VVTT. Or you could do a series/parallel switch. Or a kill switch. But yeah, don't move the jack!

5. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Get this control plate, leave the jack on the side and go either volume/volume/tone or volume/pan/tone.

099-2055-000.

My first course of action however, would be to follow rojo412's advice and troubleshoot the preamp a little further.

6. Burnttwaffle

Burnttwaffle

May 19, 2009
    Thanks guys you're all such a big help! :)

I dropped it off at a local guitar shop who deals in predominantly high end stuff, you can guess if you live in CT although I don't want to drop any names. I'm going to have to call them back and tell them not to do anything =/ hate doing something like that to a local business.

I love my G&L controls to death, so maybe keep the jack on the side, 2 volumes, 1 bass tone 1 treble tone like the G&L? Is it possible to add a push pull series parallel to mimic the G&L even more(which stays passive about 80% of the time) I also only have the schematics for standard VVT should i use G&L schematics since i know they are out there and where they are, or would i just get confused because of the other switches, preamp, etc etc? Keep in mind i'm a total beginner in electronics my friend who has some alright experience will be guiding me though.
    Thanks again!