1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM Jazz even worth getting?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PurplePurple, Apr 4, 2006.

1. At my local shop there is a gorgous sea foam green MIM Jazz. I played around on it for a little and I liked the way it played and felt. It didnt have any dead spots or sharp frets. The only thing I didn't like about it is it didn't have the tone that the other jazzes seam too have or the jazz one of my friends dad's owns.(It's like a vintage 74 though.) Now I figured I can swich the pickups, put on a badass, and grab a tortice shell pickguard, but how well would this actually work? I worry that it might just not be worth the price and I should just save up too get a MIA jazz or a Stingray. There aren't any Geddy's anywhere in town. Would you think it would work? I've had a MIM strat for years and it's been fine but would it be worth it?

BTW It's $480 new

2. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    Well all I can tell you is that a lot of people around here are happy with their MIM's but a lot have also said that it's best to "shop around". They say (and I've noticed it too in my limited experience) that the MIM's tone varies greatly as does build quailty.So maybe you just came across a bunk one try a few others.

But I don't think you can compare MIM to MIA or a Stingray for that matter. I say paly a few others if you like a jazz tone my favorite so far has been a MIM ash bodied jazz.

Rich

3. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I had both a MIM Jazz Fretless and MIM Jazz Fretted. Both were great playing basses. In fact the fretted one was the bass that got me back into playing 4-string basses. The quality of the two I owned was top notch, no complaints. I did slap on a BadAss bridge on the fretted.

4. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    I played a MIA jazz and a MIM jazz in my local shop. Tone was fairly close to each other. MIA sounded better. The feel of the neck is what I noticed the most. Definitely prefered the MIA over the MIM.

However, my sx jazz bass feels just as good and sounds just as good as the MIA, but that's my opinion.

5. I LOVE my red '95 MIM Jazz and I've owned quite a few "goodies"( check profile).

I installed a set of Dimarzio J's, a vintage Fender bridge, rewired it to vol/tone/blend and use it almost exclusively.
    I only wish it were seafoam green!!!

6. I think I miscomunicated a few things. The tone thing not being the same as the vintage one that I played can probobally be dismissed as the other is 30 years old. It is actually the only other jazz bass I have played. I'm planning on going too another store too play around on their jazzes so I know what they ususally sound/play/feel like, then I'm going too compare it too the MIM and decide if new strings and new pups would get it closer too what i'm trying for.

I also want too make clear that I didn't mean too imply that it would be as nice as a mia or a stringray. I ment it like for example if someone is beggining some people ask if they should get a rougue or a squire and most say it's better too get an ibanez or an sx or a mim fender.

Thanks for all the responces.

7. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

im not sure if sea foam green+tortice shell work together.

i think 480 NEW is a very good price, its about £270 i believe.

here in the UK they retail at £350ish(600USD). I got my MIM off ebay for about £200.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

This was my problem with Fenders - none of the recent ones I tried, "nailed" the tone I loved from classic recordings ...until I tried the Roscoe Beck signature - this does and was clearly designed to emulate Roscoe's early 60s Jazz bass.

But this proves it's not to do with age - just how they build them!!

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The difference I noticed was the neck. The MIA is better.

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I did exactly what you are describing. I bought a MIM Standard Jazz a year and a half ago. I changed out the pick ups to S/D SJB 2's and put a Leo Quann BA II on it. I think it sounds and plays excellent now. The pick ups made a huge difference in it's tone. I'm not so sure about the BA II. It's looks cool though. I changed them at the same time so I can't really tell if the Leo Quann is making much of a difference. Attack and Sustain seem to be better now but again that could be the result of the hotter pickups. I also changed the pick guard to a pearloid and added Dunlop strap locks. It now plays and looks as good as any American Fender I have played. I have about $753.00 (including price of the bass and taxes) total investment in this bass.

Sea Foam Green is a really cool color. I think it would be worth getting.

11. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    I hope this isn't too obvious..but is it possible you played the "good" Jazz though a great amp set up by the owner, and the one in the shop through their little demo unit with random settings from the last person who used it? No chance of getting your friend's dad to come with you, and maybe play both instruments through the same gear?

12. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I found a MIM fretless that played and sounded great. I get lots of kudos about the tone. I A-B it with my 64 fretted Jazz, and people like the 64, love the MIM, which has a real thump. Ask for a quiet back room and play it with no amp.

Then plug it in and try it. Oh, and check the 7th fret D note on the G string. It's the most common dead spot on Jazz basses in my experience.

SteveD:cool:

13. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I found a fell in love with my MIM Jazz V deluxe...it has the stock bi-pole pups and sounds great has a great vintage tone which works well for the type of music i play. I owned a couple of MIM 4s over the years and they were ok but this thing blows them out of the water.

14. Toshiro

Toshiro

Jul 21, 2004
    In all cases when it comes to instruments, if this particular Jazz Bass speaks to you, you should buy it. You may never find another one that fits you as much as this one.

OTOH, if it doesn't speak to you, no amount of anything is gonna make it right.

15. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    The MIM Jazz is a great solid bass if you get a good one. The quality varies from bass to bass, so make sure you try before you buy. The pickups and tuners on the MIM Jazz are more than adeqaute in my opinion. If you asked me, the only weak point is the crappy bridge.

I have a sunburst Jazz and I ditched the white pickguard for a tort one, and it has a nice vintage vibe.