Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Jazz grounding probs

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by purfektstranger, May 6, 2005.

1. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Earlier today I installed two Fender American pups in my 1991
    MIM Fender Jazz. No problems but alot of noise when I turned up my amp. I took a wire and touched one end to the input jack and the other to the bridge and the noise disappeared. Under the bridge there is a slot for a ground wire that looks like it should run through the body to the input jack but it doesn't. I am thinking of taking a fine drill and making a route for a ground wire. Anyone come across a similar problem? If so, please let me know how you solved it.

Thanks,

2. Yep, that is what I would do. I did that on a guy's custom body strat that had no ground. I found an area under the bridge that was closest to a cavity (in this case the bridge pickup cavity) and drilled a hole at an angle into the cavity, ran the wire to the Jack...that was it. Use stranded wire and splay the wire out flat to contact the bridge when it is screwed down.

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Thanks for the advice. That's what I am going to do.