1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM Jazz headstock question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emor, Aug 13, 2007.

1. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    My friend recently acquired a 5 string MIM Jazz and it has hole (about 1/4" diameter) that has been plugged just above the B tuner on the back of the headstock. We were wondering what the story is on that.

Here is a pic from ebay of a 4 string Jazz neck with the same hole, although it doesn't appeared to have been filled.

Thanks

[​IMG]

edit: It is visible with the tuners installed on my friend's.

2. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    Maybe a detuner?

3. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    I thought the same thing (having no experience with them myself). I looked at the Hipshot site and it doesn't seem to be required for their model.

4. +1

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    My guess would be a reference point for the CNC machine. Theres usually one under the pickguard of the body as well. They dont plug the holes on the 4 strings because the tuners cover them up. ON the five, the tuners are smaller so the need to plug it up.

6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    That is where the government puts its tracking device. You know they need to track all us radical rock and roll types!