MIM Jazz neck--Help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sarbecue Boss, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Sarbecue Boss

Sarbecue Boss

Jul 9, 2006
    I am about to pick up a 5 string Mexican Jazz, and the action is incredibly bad. The previous owner had suggested that a lot of these jazzes had neck problems due to string tension or neck strength, and my best bet was to buy a new one, I just need to know if my current one is salvageable.

As it stands now, the action is about a quarter inch high in the worst spot, and the previous owner says he had maxed out the truss rod trying to straiten it up, to no avail.

-Can I get this neck straight?

-Should I remove the neck and get it straight, and then try and put it back on?

-Would a lighter/heavier guage string work? I have no idea what is on there now.

-If i do need a new neck, gimme some recommendations.

Thanks guys

2. Lighter gauge strings may help some. If you're going to but it anyway, I'd recommend picking up a set of the strings your most likely to play and setting the neck up to those. You may find that you're able to get it straightened. I just did a set up on my new one where the neck was pretty bad but I got it to the point where it's almost entirely straight.

I was always told playing with the truss rod if you didn't know how was a bad thing and this was the first time I've ever done my old set up. It worked out well. There's a lot of good guides online and as long as you use your better judgement it isn't too hard to figure out.

If the neck does seem to be lost, I've always liked Warmoth necks personally. They offer a lot of options and they're pretty quality.

3. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Look down the neck with the strings off. If the forward bow is fairly noticable and you know the truss rod is maxed out then the answer is invest in a new MIM. For the money they're not that bad. Keep the old one for parts. Better yet buy a Smith and put it all behind you. LOL

4. Sarbecue Boss

Sarbecue Boss

Jul 9, 2006
    When I pull the neck, is there any chance of damaging it as it straightens back up?

5. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Pull the neck? You mean off of the bass?

6. i would walk from the deal, unless the bad neck is factored into the price
    in that case, I wouldn't even bother to try and fix the neck
    i would get a new neck

i would definitely reccomend Warmoth, they have steel rods and this would make a repeat of this problem very unlikely
    just have to order their Standard 5 string neck, the deluxe is a different scale, found out the hard way...lol