Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Jazz, new neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I'm looking to get ahold of an MIM jazz sometime soon. The problem is, I don't really like the thick necks (or at least they feel thick to me). I've been playing on a Peavey Millennium BXP, and I'm used to the thin neck on that. But it's falling apart slowly now, and doesn't sound particularly great.

Does Allparts or Warmoth make a slimmer neck that I can change out with the stock one?

2. :eyebrow:
    are you sure that you played a Jazz? sure it wasnt a warwick or something? jazz have some of the thinnest fastest necks I've ever layed my hands on...

3. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    The Peavey is just about thinner than any I've ever seen, even thinner than the Geddy Lee. It is thin to the point of flimsyness, in my opinion.
    If you were to get a jazz, you'd get used to the thicker neck in a matter of minutes. Although it is extremely thin and fast, it is beefier than the neck on the Peavey. In my opinion, the jazz neck is the most comfortable neck out there and they are fantastic to play, and it won't take long to adjust. A p bass neck will take a little longer, but once adjusted, they are very comfortable, too.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I used to be all about the uber-thin necks, etc. etc. but after you play for a while, it's going to become less and less important. Spend some time with an upright...that'll make the baseball neck of any Warwick seem like a Geddy.

5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I used to have a peavey, I agree with the comment that peavey necks are super thin. You are going to be hard pressed to find anything with a neck that small. As others have said, you will get used to the fender style neck in a matter of weeks.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'm no virtuoso, but I've learned over the years that you can be comfortable playing thick and thin necks. The thing to remember is that you are not supposed to pinch the neck. Your fingers fret the notes gently and you don't need a death grip on the neck. Let that thumb glide easily.