Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Jazz or BB604

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Where's One?, May 24, 2002.

1. 4 QUESTIONS

1. Which would you go for?

the MIM Jazz - £380 to £410 (NEW)
    -You all know the stats

or the Yamaha BB604 - £270 (NEW)
    -3 band active eq
    http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gEBS00004BB604

2. Do I really need active electronics? (Although the cheaper bass has em.) Can't I just adjust eq on my amp and leave it?

3. Is this a reasonable price for a new mim fender jazz? (UK!)

4. Are there any other jazz style basses I should check out?

THANKS

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    1 Mim Jazz
    2 Yes, no, sort of. I prefer actives but actives on cheaper basses can be iffy. At this price range the Jazz is an excellent choice and the passive tone control will give you some variation.
    3 No my local shop sells them for £350, shop around in your local area. Get a load of quotes. Ask them what they have in stock. The newer basses have some differences, see if local shops are doing older models on close out as the Americans say. Try looking for shops with second hand ones. A mate of mine got a lefty in mint cond for just over £200
    4 No

You are welcome

3. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    MIM jazz, hands down. Almost every Yamaha bass I've played sounds totally blah. But take your time to pick out a good MIM jazz.

4. Make sure you buy a MIM Jazz that was made after 2001. A quick way to find out for sure is to measure the pickups, if the bridge pup is slightly longer it is post '01. The reason for this is they used to use the exact same pickup for both positions, therefore no Hum cancelling. Therefore you want to change the pickups (thats the boat i'm in with my MIM J). You may want to upgrade someday anyway, but at least it won't be as urgent. (PS I don't like Yamaha's but that's just my opinion, and a cheap active circuit is almost always crappy, and you can upgrade with a J-retro to make your MIM active)

5. I have a 2001 MIM J fretless and the pickup improvements are very worthwhile. My bridge pickup is 0.125" wider than the neck, and both operate as a true hum cancelling pair. Older MIM do not. The sound is classic single coil J-bass.

I have a J-Retro ready to install in mine, along with a pair of DiMarzio Model J humbuckers.

6. I am slightly confused now;

JeffreyG talks about the POST '01 (therfore '02 I guess) pick-ups being LONGER at the bridge and therefore hum-cancelling.

bgavin says his bridge pickup is WIDER at the neck and his is an '01 bass.

So when were the better pickups put on the mim jazz ('01 or '02)?

and

Am I looking for a longer or wider bridge pickup?

Thanks

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The latter basses have the different sized pups. I went down the pub with my J playing mate tonight. I knew that he had the J retro fitted but he has upgraded the pups to Aero's as they make the older Mim J sized pickups.

Confused? Welcome to the web.

8. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    My 1996 Korean Sguier has same length pickups and have next to no noise at all , especially now its shielded ... it has killer tone and its my main Axe now , Ive gone away from 20 years of active Basses , i think they sound great at home but just dont seem to cut it live IMO .

9. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    MIM Jazz Bass