MIM Jazz pole-piece alignment?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by complexprocess, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Why is it that the pole pieces on stock MIM jazz (4 string) pickups never line up properly with every string (particularly the E string)? You'd think they would fix that on an instrument that is produced in such tremendous quantities.

I guess the more important part of my question is whether or not there is a set of replacement pickups that correct this problem, preferably without any routing.

Alternately, what's the easiest way to alter the bridge pickup cavity if you don't own a router and still want a neat job? An answer to either of these questions would set me inn the right direction, thanks. :D
  2. I'm sorry to say that's just the way they come off the line.

I woud recommend the Fralin Bass Pickups. I love the vintage tone and they fit without drilling your bass.

Using ALNICO V magnets and 42 gauge Heavy Formvar wire, they are all hand wound to vintage specifications. Jazz Bass -pickups are based on 60´s Fender Jazz Bass -pickups..

* Alnico 5 -magnets
    * Wire: formvar # 42
    * Output: 8 -8,5 K

Lindy Fralin Bass Pickups

I posted this in the Bridge match for a Original 62 P thread if you want to read more!

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    It's not really as big of an issue as most people think. The string doesn't need to be directly over the pole to get good output.
  4. Thanks, I'll look in to the fralin pickup, thanks. :)