1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM Jazz Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by enemybass, Apr 29, 2009.

1. enemybass

enemybass

Jan 3, 2008
    london
    is there any major risk of me contracting Swine flu if I buy I Made in Mexico Fender Jazz ?

2. shawn2000

shawn2000

Mar 2, 2004
    Logan, UT
    Me thinks not, although one must refrain from listening or attempting to play anything from Primus's 'Pork Soda' album.

3. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Honestly, yes.
    But not due to the manufacturing process or location.
    Just trying to be clear.
    :)

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I realize that this is meant in a light-hearted fashion and I did take it that way, but here in central Texas the swine flu is taking a very REAL toll on people. We just had the first death in the USA here in Texas, lots and lots of schools are closed, and we find more and more cases every day. Like I say, I know you meant it as a light-hearted joke, but I can assure you that it isn't a laughing matter.

5. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Ouch.

6. regardless of how it was meant...i think it is a legit question. if we are purchasing something direct from mexico, regardless of who else has encountered it, i really doubt these basses are being sterilized by anyone. i just bought a brand new mim jazz bass and i cant help but wonder. as slight as the chance may be. just a thought. -joep

7. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    It can live on surfaces for several hours. Most can live 8-10 hours. This one, I hear, can live a bit longer.
    So, it is extremely unlikely that you will get it from a bass unless you buy it in Ensenada fresh off the line AND it has some of the virus directly on its surface.
    You are much more likely to get it from a MIM bass from a shop in TX or CA where an infected person may have played with it just hours before.
    And, of course, MIM has nothing to do with it.

8. heinpete

heinpete

Apr 9, 2008
    Hesse, Germany
    :DJust buy a Precision and the question no longer remains!:D:bag:

9. Freelancer

Freelancer

Apr 6, 2009
    Tucson, AZ.
    This whole thing is starting to really get out of hand. This isn't the first outbreak of this strain of influenza before and wont be the last. People are making this out to be worse than SARS or other "killer" avian influenza strains. Stop panicking and spreading this mass hysteria about like the apocalypse is coming or something. It acts and behaves like any other strain of influenza you can catch regularly during "flu season." Only people really at risk are the common suspects under threat of influenza.

Here's a link to the CDC's website on this subject. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/swineflu_you.htm

It's similar to the "common flu" with the happy addition of diarrhea and vomiting. There are some stronger strains of human stock that almost all of us have had in the past with these symptoms and we're all here alive and kicking. The cure is the same as for any other flu. Plenty of rest and fluids. Cut/greatly reduce contact with others and of course check into hospital if you're alone or have a caregiver monitor your conditions. If you notice your conditions worsening immediately go to the hospital. All standard flu practice. Personally, I hold off on antiviral medication as much as possible with all illnesses as highly mutating virus strains (influenza and HIV etc,) can quickly and easily become resistant/immune to antiviral medications rendering them useless. The more people that use antiviral meds for that strain the higher the likelihood of resistance being built up for it by the virus.

Sorry for getting off topic but I felt this was needed to kinda help set the table for the answer to the OP's hopefully joking question in hopes that some idiot out there in internet land doesn't start or further flare up the doomsayers in his area. It's proven a virus outside a human host, requires at minimal of uncontaminated moisture to survive. Although it still needs a host cell to multiply and mutate. Since the life of a viral cell is around an hour or two you wont have to worry too much about what might have happened yesterday with the object in question. Wash your hands and stay healthy and you'll probably be fine. And for the love of all that's good, don't run around in a panic. You'll be surprised how quickly people quickly herd towards the "lemming" syndrome. Human behavior can be more contagious and more dangerous than many virus any day.

Thanks and Rock on! :bassist:
    -Chris

10. skotsour

skotsour

Mar 4, 2009
    Chicago
    I agree 100%. Worldwide, 250,000 to 300,000 people die EVERY YEAR from the regular run of the mill flu. So far this year, the regular flu has killed roughly 13,000, the so called swine flu has only 19 CONFIRMED kills. While very, very sad that anyone has died, swine flu is NOT the killer it is made out to be.

11. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I didn't realize that anyone was panicking. (Still, that doesn't make it something to joke about.)

Seriously though, typical flu related deaths are attributed to P&I, which is pneumonia and influenza, so many of the deaths are actually flu that has been left unchecked and turned to pneumonia. Typically infants and elderly are at a much higher risk. The other thing that makes the flu potentially deadly is possible interaction with other health problems, such as heart disease or asthma.

This variation (H1N1) seems to be a new one, and people have very little resistance to it, therefore making it quite contagious. That is one big issue with it. Little or no immunity for most people. This particular H1N1 was originally thought to be a combination of swine, avian, and human strains, though latest reports say it is a combination of two different swine flu viruses. The biggest difference in this strain is that it is particularly deadly to people in the 25 - 45 age group, something that is unusual for other strains of the flu. However, so far adult deaths have only been in Mexico.

The good news is that it has been responsive to medication. Also, many people, even without medication, seem to have recovered just fine.

The current weekly CDC report, for those interested, can be viewed at http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2008-2009/weekly14.htm

And a yearly / seasonal archive is at http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/fluactivity.htm

H1N1 info -
    http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H1N1
    http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/04/swinefluupdate/
    http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/04/swinefluprimer/

12. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I agree with Chris and Darkhorse. That said, the thing that gets me (and will get me in trouble in this forum) is the complete and utter failure of our government to do anything at all. True, it is likely not the end of the world. But, it is serious, and it is KNOWN. So, at the very least we should have our border darn near closed, and we should be carefully screening every single person coming across the Mexican border and off every plane. Instead, we are doing absolutely nothing. At least the Obama administration will never be accused of overreacting.
    That's the part that makes me sick. The feds are doing nothing at all while even third-world countries are using thermal scanners on passengers for fevers.

Mods: Feel free to remove this - nothing personal. :)