Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Jazz - Replacement suggestion??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by IanthePez, Aug 24, 2000.

1. IanthePez

IanthePez

May 29, 2000
    I have a fender MIM jazz and I was wondering if changing the pickups would be a good chance to get just a bit better sound? If it would be worth it, what pickups would you suggest? I don't know too much about pickups, I was just hoping for a bit better sound. Thanks

Pez

2. I put a Dimarzio DP123 Jazz passive set in my MIM jazz. I like 'em, some don't. They are individually humbucking, so they are more like 2 split coil P-pickups in J packages. I am going for a low growly sound, and I don't like the modern chinkety-chink-pleckety-pleck stuff. They give me what I want. I paid $90 at Musician's Friend for both. I had to chisel out the narrow sides of the bridge position pickup route slightly to fit it in, since Mexico uses 2 shorter neck pickups instead of a single neck pickup and a slightly longer bridge pickup. No big deal, though.

I like em. I did not want active, although there is a version of the Dimarzio's J pickups that is. The DP123's were designed in 1979, so that's the type sound they have - pretty old school, but not vintage. I was mainly interested in a drop in replacement that was humbucking even if only 1 pickup is turned on. Seymour Duncan has a replacement set, but it is only humbucking if both pickups are turned up to the same volume.

Go to:
    http://www.dimarzio.com/
    for info.

Chris

3. I have been working on a solution to that problem myself. I installed a set of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups first. They sounded really good, but not quite close enough to the Jazz bass sound for me. They are very bright sounding, but not enough depth, or fatness for me. I ended up splurging on a set of Fender Custom Shop '60s and really, really like them. My MIM jazz now sounds like a jazz bass should!

4. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    I put a set of Seymour Duncan Hot Jazz pickups in my ash-bodied '78 Fender Jazz. Talk about a wake-up call! They really brought the bass to life. (It still weighs a ton, but it sounds good.)

Check the Bass Player magazine website for a Shoot-out article on replacement Jazz pickups. I think it is in the "Gear" section.

Craig

5. Craig H
    You actually REPLACED the pickups in your '78 Jazz??!!
    Oh, the humanity!

6. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    Yes Chris...it's true. It used to be heavy and toneless, but now it's just heavy. :)

Craig

7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Ian, I did the same thing Chris did with similar results. Another thing you can do to improve tone, especially sustain, is to replace the bridge. The Leo Quan Badass II is a direct replacement, no holes to fill or drill. In my opinion the MIM pickups are utterly useless.

I don't blame you one bit for replacing that '78 p-bass pickup Craig. There are so many pickups available today that are just plain better, that it's silly not to replace them in the name of "vintage". It's amazing to me what people are asking (and getting!) for mid-late '70s Fender basses. They were extremely hit or miss (mostly miss), in fact I don't think any post CBS Fenders (after 1966) should even be considered collectible. But that's another topic. Hmmm...I feel a new thread coming on.