1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM Jazz Setup Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by iambrando, Apr 26, 2017.

1. iambrando

iambrando

Apr 26, 2017
    I just got my first MIM FSR Jazz. Long time P-Bassist. In the past my favorite bass I owned was a Mexican P-Deluxe.

Any ways, to make a long story short I decided I definetly want to try something new. I have decided on flat wound ECB82's but can't decide on pick ups.

Very interested in the Dimarzio Model J's and Area J's. I like the AJ's because the highs are a little crisper, but the lows of the MJ's is just so appealing. Any advice would be welcome.

Coming from P-Bass I definetly love woody super smooth tones. Just would like to expand my skill into more funk and classic runs.

Action is solid on this Jazz so I am not worried about a heavier string.

Guess I am looking for advice or experience with this set up. Slightly worried I am leaning toward solid lows at cost of versiatlity. Hope that make sense.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Can't help with the flats, but i've got three MIM J's each with a different Dimarzio jazz set in them and all three sound different. Of the three sets I prefer the ultra j's but only because they are a better fit for what i do most of these days. They all have the same nickel round wounds and i do my own setups so they are all basically the same.

iambrando likes this.
  3. Coreythebassman

Coreythebassman Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2010
    You are a long time P bassist and wanted to try something new, so you are gonna put flats on a J? That's like wanting to have something new for dinner, then heating up your leftovers from the day before and putting ketchup on it instead of mustard ;). Just playing with you. In all seriousness though, I wouldn't recommend throwing flats on a J if you want any sort of versatility. Single coil pickups can have such a great high end with rounds. Flats will make your sound fat and thumpy, but you will lose the sustain and ring of the high end as well as the tight punch low end. No experience with the dimarzio pups but I will say when you listen to them being played online, the demo is most likely played with rounds. Good luck and if you have any set up questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.

Warhawk likes this.
  4. If you want to start flats I'd suggest using Chromes. I've alternated between Chromes and other Diaddario strings depending on whether or not I wanted a darker or brighter sound. They are flats, but from what I've heard they are not as dark as other flats. They may be a good middle ground.