1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM jazz trussrod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Apr 5, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I tried adjusting the truss rod on my bass today, I think the neck is too bowed because if i lower the action the frets after the 12th fret start buzzing.

so i got a 5mm hexagonal allen key and tried to fit it into the truss rod hole, and it doesnt fit. I shined a torch down there and it looks like everything is ok, i can see that there is a hexagonal hole.

I got about 10 allen keys from my bass's previous owner, and about 4 of them are 5mm hex, ive tried them all and they dont work.

my question is this, is 5mm hex the right size allen key?
    if it is the right size key, then any ideas into whats wrong?

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I read the guide to trussrod stuff stickied at the top of the page,

it said the easiest way to measure relief is to lower your action, if the first 12 frets but your neck is too loose and if the upper frets after 12 buzz then your neck is concave.

so i guess in my case i need to loosen the truss rod.

but im not fully sure how much i should turn it

3. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    Thats the greatest problem with the Gary Willis instructions, he encourages people to make adjustments on the basis of symptoms and by trial and error rather than simply measuring the actual relief and going from there.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Hex key size on every Fender I've owned has been 3/16".

5. I actually have the same doubt. I'm trying to get my action set as low as possible and I followed Gary Willis' site where he says that if you lower your strings and they buzz on the higher frets then your neck is too bowed. I have already very little rellief (I think less than one business card) but it still buzz only on the higher frets when lowering the strings...should I keep straightening? The bass is a 5 string warwick neck-through. Thanks!

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

If the relief is set correctly, the bass will still buzz on the high frets if the saddles are lower than the bass's lowest capable action. Not every bass is created equal. Not even every one of the same make and model.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Same here...

- georgestrings