Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Jazz Twangy G?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fretless Friday, May 9, 2001.

1. Last night I did a routine setup on my fretted MIM Jazz. Set the truss rod the way I like it, set the action, intonation, everything as per usual.

I usually adjust the setup about once a month to compensate for the rather abrupt weather changes we get here.

Anyway, like many (if not all) MIM Jazz basses, mine suffers from a slightly twangy G string. I've gotten used to this, and have felt it on several other basses through the years.

The point of this thread, though, is the strange experience I had last night with the twangy G, and its sudden, and hopefully permanent, departure.

I finished my setup, played the bass for a while to check the setup (perfect, the way I love it), and set it down on the workbench to begin polishing it (that black sure looks nice, but does it ever show the fingerprints).

I was polishing aroung the heel of the bridge, and looking at the balls on the end of the strings. I am not usually pretty particular about the balls, I don't make sure they are all aligned for aesthetic reasons, it never seemed important to me. But inspection from this angle showed the G string ball was turned almost 90 degrees from the others, which were presenting the open part of the ball upwards (away from the body).

I got my jeweler's screwdriver, and turned it to face the same as the others. I went on polishing the bass, and then settled in for some scale running. I immediately noticed the G string was no longer twangy. It sounds much fuller and nicer than before, just like the other strings.

Could something as simple as the ball of the string contribute to the twangy G issue?

I hope so, because I am happy as hell not to have the problem any more!

(I wasn't sure whether this should go in setup or strings. Setup seemed more appropriate.)

FF

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hmm. Never really thought about it. But now that I look at MY MIM Jazz (fretless ;) ) I see that the EAD balls are pointing generally upward (?) like you said, while the G is at a 90 degree angle. I'll fool with it tonight and get back to you.

3. BUT we need more evidence!

New strings? Changed brand/guage?
    Any special setup to the nut or wrapping on the tuner peg?
    Saddle adjustment?

Think about all the details that may have changed and let us know.

I know this is a problem for many of us. The only solutionI've found was to use tape wound strings and that's not ideal.

4. Well, the discovery was made after I finished setting up the bass, but as I stated, I had played it after the setup and before turning the string ball.

Strings were the same Power Slinky's I've had on there for about three months.

No change to the nut, and I didn't remove the strings or even loosen them much during the setup.

The saddles were adjusted, but I've had the G-string twang since I got the bass (through several setups).

The only change pre-no-twang and post-no-twang was the ball of the string.

I don't know if this is what changed everything, but I do know I am darned happy not to have the twang any more :)

If anyone else has any experiences with this, please let us all know.

FF