1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM Jazz V - bridge saddles don´t go low enough

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lowstar, Apr 28, 2006.

1. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    hi folks,
    i have a MIM Jazz5Dlx and i have the neck nice and straight, but still high string action because my string saddles have bottomed out (on the outer ones, keeping the radius).
    what can i do ?
    shim the neck ? i would prefer some other solution, since i want the connexion between body and neck to be tight and resonant
    file away some of of the bottom part of the outer saddles ?
    install a replacement bridge ? does the badass II have more clearance at the bottom to adjust the string hight lower ?

cheers,
    lowstar

2. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    The two options you have mentioned, shimmingor filing the bottom of the saddles are the two which will work.
    Aftermarket bridges such as the badass generally have thicker bassplates than the standard fender so will make it worse.
    I dont believe that shimming, done properly has an adverse effect, but that's your call

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've had to shim many bolt on necks and done right it has not compromised the sound. Try it yourself. If you don't like it it's easily reversible.