1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM Jazz V Deluxe

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sowegafly, May 17, 2011.

1. sowegafly

sowegafly

Mar 25, 2010
    I've had this bass for a while and I like it except that it sounds so dark to me no matter what I do with the pre amp controls I cant get it to sound remotely like my passive 4 string jazz that I absolutely love. Is there a pre amp or pick ups that would help get me there?? My 4 String has Nordy NJ4sv's in it. I would love to play my 5 string more at some shows but I just can't put down the 4 string because it sound so much better. I can't get that 5 string to sound burpy at all. please help. I don't mind it sounding a little more modern but I would like it to sound like the same animal atleast

2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I've got exactly the same bass and exactly the same problem. I've tried even more than you including changing pickup loading and a series/parallel switch. No dice.

My opinion is the trouble is the stacked coil "noiseless" pickups. Yes they are nice and quiet but the tone just doesn't seem to do it. My plan is to scrape some cash together and get some Nordy NJ5SE's for it. The other option (cheaper) would be to simply buy a set of Fender single coils for it and put up with the hum. I don't like hum, but I've never liked the stacked coil sound. This bass did nothing to change my mind. One of these days I'll really have to fix it. (Otherwise it's an absolutely killer bass!)