Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Jazz V neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by k-towntuba, Jul 5, 2005.

1. k-towntuba

k-towntuba

Jul 5, 2005
    Ok, I have a MIM Jazz V, couple years old, and the neck has a rather mean Bow in it. Problem is, the truss rod will not move any further (as far as tightening it) I can loosen it somewhat, as I did when attempting to remove the truss rod and add a washer to the end of the rod to tighten it, but the nut would not come off no matter how much I turned it. I think that the truss rod may just be Maxed out. Now I think I have heard that this can be remedied by removing the fingerboard and tooling around with the truss rod. Is this true, and if so is it feasable and how much would this type of job cost me. If not, are there any other possible solutions to this issue? thanks for any ideas or advice,
    Ken Sickler

2. Ken, first off, the trussrod nut MUST come off because it had to go on there - it's as simple as that. It threaded on, it will thread off. You might not have put enough ooomph into it but it WILL come off that way. Did you remember to turn it counterclockwise to take it off? :confused: Sorry - had to ask.

Once off, the addition of a washer or spacer is the only thing you can do with that particular TR without any major surgery. Give it a try and see. If it doesn't take the bow out and keep it out, you'll either be removing the fretboard or getting a new neck.

Removal of the fretboard isn't to mess with the trussrod so much as it's to re-position the fretboard on the back in a new spot - adhered in place with the maple back flattened or recurved to the proper geometry. The new glue surface between the fretboard and back will hold the pair in the proper location. The trussrod is actually welded together so you couldn't add threads to the adjustment end, though you could replace it with another type of trussrod if you had the clearance. Measure well... This isn't an inexpensive process and when you're done, you haven't got anything but a repaired MIM neck - a dubious posssession at best in my book. The cost will run above a couple of hundred for the entire thing and that's too much for what it is. I would go with a Warmoth Jazz V neck and actually get a better neck in the process for about the same money. You don't have a collector so it's all about being a player at this point and the Warmoth will improve it 100% in that area.

3. k-towntuba

k-towntuba

Jul 5, 2005
    ok thats more or less what I wanted to know, thanks alot Hambone. On the subject of the warmoth necks, Will they Fit my bass? Last I checked, the only 5 string jazz neck they made was the so called "deluxe" which does not fit my bass to my knowledge. then again i have not seen their site in a while.....
    Im at Eastman school of music right now for 3 weeks in a summer program (for Tuba) so I cannot really have daily access to a Computer, and look up the specs for a neck so If anyone knows if warmoth makes a neck that will be a drop in replacement for my current neck, And could post the info here, I would appreciate it greatly.
    Kenneth Sickler

4. Oh damn, those "deluxes" have 22 frets or something don't they? :rolleyes:

I don't understand why Warmoth would put the Deluxe offering ahead of the standard.

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Actually, I believe that the Warmoth necks hangup with the MIMs is in the neck-pocket size, (width), which is slightly different. I am with Hambone in that I don't understand the marketing reasons for having such a fundamental difference between two basses made by the 'same' company... FWIW, the Warmoth neck that I used to replace my blown Fender neck on my '96 MIA Deluxe is just fantastic...

Also, FWIW, this sound about how my original truss rod was acting shortly before it blew up... The truss rod itself was made out of very cheesy steel, soft and whatnot... When it was finally dis-assembled, there were many thread fragments in the adjusting nut and cavity... A lot of times, the broached hole for the allen wrench is actually 'thru', (a manufacturing 'artifact'), so you may want to put a little light oil, (3-in-1), in there and let it seep for a bit... This may help with nut removal...

-robert