Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Jazz vs BB-604

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JFT, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Hi all,

still searching and gathering info for my first bass.

I finally tested ( against my will ;) ) a MIM Jazz and was really surprised to like it. In fact if it had just a little more punch and a fatter sound this would be it.

I've read good things said around here about BB-604 would its active Nathan East preamp give me that additionnal warmth and punch?

I couldn't lay my hand on one to test it. How does its neck compare to the J?

Thanks

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I tried the BB-404 & I thought it was a good bass. Equal to the MIM Fender.

Why not compare the BB-604 to the MIM JAzz DLX that has active electronics? I think since you like the feel of the MIM STD, you might like the preamp that Fender puts in the DLX.

3. Hi Nino,

thanks for the info but alas the Jazz Deluxe is outside my budget :(

Was the BB404 Neck "identical" to the MIM Jazz?

The preamp is different from the BB604 so that won't help for tone control...

4. I played both the other week.

I found the fender MIM neck to be chunkier than the BB604 neck. This might have been because the BB neck has smaller frets and 24 of them instead of the MIMs more jumbo 20 frets. I also found the Yamaha more comfortable to play because of this (pehaps because it felt closer to my current bass). I have heard other people say that Yamahas have flatter necks than others. This might just be the TRB stuff thou, I dunno.

The Yamaha has a significantly smaller body than the MIM. Not sure on weights though.

The look of the MIM tuners seemed more agricultural (sp?) looking than the yamahas but I do not know which are more acurate and most likely to stay in tune.

The BB604 eq obviously gave more tonal variations than just the tone pot on the BB404, but I think you would need to test it to see how many of the tones were useable.

They both sounded completely different, so that is down to personal taste I supose.

The Yamaha bridge looks more chuncky than the MIMs, but I do not Know if it is a particularly good one.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses

6. Why does the Yamaha BB604 have bass and treble cut and boost but only a 'mid cut' knob?

And what is the point in the mid-control on/off switch. Does this imply that the mid control is set to a 'cut' possition even before it is turned to a greater 'cut' level?

7. Nino I meant that the BB-404 has a basic tone, balance volume (anyway it doesn't have the Nathan East 1)

Whereas the BB-604 has a the NE-1 preamp which feature 3 bands EQ, a mid cut and of which lot of people say good thing.

Where's one, the 3 EQ is boost/cut (including the mid) but there is also a middle cut switch. I far as its use I guess you set up a Slap happy side of the switch and toggle back and forth...

8. No I'm not 100% sure,

the yamaha site is messed up with contradiction between the US, European and UK site.

The US site for example says that it has humbucker ( LOL no way)

Who knows....

9. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that I have a solution to your jazz problem. If you want it to be more punchy and be more fat maybe a set of SD Quarter pounder Jazz pups would do the trick. Then again I could be way off. Someone confirm this please.

10. Neck dead spots are something to consider on the MIM Fenders. Both my P and fretless J have dead spots, with the J being the worst of the two. I'm going to install an unlined Warmoth neck on my fretless, both to get away from the dead spots and the lines.

This aside, the MIM Fenders are very nice basses, and worth their price. Especially used, in the $250 range on eBay.

11. I guess it's dumb question but what is a dead spot and how can I spot it.

Is it simply a spot where the volume is lower or note is screwed?!?

I'm coming from the guitar world but I spoiled myself with mid and upscale quality guitar directly when I start.

Thanks,

P.S. (I guess it's an ever dumber question but anyway) Are dead spot more proeminent on bass than on guitar in general?

12. Yeah, a dead spot is a note on the fret board that has a lesser amount of sustin than other notes.

I am VERY interested to hear anybody elses opinions on the Yamaha BB604 as I am seriously considering purchasing one next month. (Bear in mind that it is almost £100 cheaper than a MIM Jazz in the UK.)

13. Bass Guy Dave

Bass Guy Dave

Jun 24, 2002
    The midrange control on the BB-604 is a "cut only." The knob controls what frequency the cut takes place at, the switch engages the cut. (amount of db cut is fixed...)

The Bass and Treble knobs are traditional "boost" or "cut" with a detent at the "flat" position.

I saw in the literature whaere it was labeled as the NE-1 (Nathan's parametric EQ box,) but I think that was a typo, since this would be a somewhat modified version of the NE-1, I think.

The bass sounds really pretty good. I haven't held or played a recent (last 3 years) MIM Jazz, but I would say that the Yamaha (with the EQ flat) has a boxier midrange. There's plenty of bass with the EQ knob, if you want.

Everyone else is right. The body of the Yamaha is smaller than the older BBs.

Pretty cool bass for the bucks...

Hope this helps!

Best Wishes

14. Thanks Bass Guy Dave,

it helps me indeed quite a bit. I'll make sure I try one before making any decision.

Thanks you all for your input!