Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM jazz work

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sharp, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    how much wood do i need to dremel out on either side of the bridge pickup cavity of my 2000 Fender MIM jazz to make it accomodating for a regular pair or replacement pickups? Do i also need to drill new holes for the screws?

-Tom

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I had it done professionally. But, from what I was told, they had to route out a very small amount for the rear pickup.

3. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    yes, but do i need to drill new screw holes? whats the deal?

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i beleive all you have to do is chisel about 3-5 mm from each side, you don't have to change anything else.

5. BigTed

BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    I did the same operation a year ago. If you are brave and steady handed, buy a good hard wood chisel from home depot (I managed to get one that was nearly the exact width of the cavity. $16) And then chisel around 1/8th inch out. I never chiseled before, but I found a ton of how-to sites on the web. Before, I went to local luthiers in San Diego, and they all wanted around $100 to do the work.

I learned how to solder for this adventure too. Most of the tips I got came from searching these boards. Good Luck.

6. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I did it with a file. You need to take off the paint + another millimeter or so. It was pretty easy and you can't even tell unless you stare at it from one inch distance.