MIM jazz work

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sharp, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Artists Relations, KMI
    how much wood do i need to dremel out on either side of the bridge pickup cavity of my 2000 Fender MIM jazz to make it accomodating for a regular pair or replacement pickups? Do i also need to drill new holes for the screws?

2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I had it done professionally. But, from what I was told, they had to route out a very small amount for the rear pickup.
  3. Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Artists Relations, KMI
    yes, but do i need to drill new screw holes? whats the deal?
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i beleive all you have to do is chisel about 3-5 mm from each side, you don't have to change anything else.
  5. BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    I did the same operation a year ago. If you are brave and steady handed, buy a good hard wood chisel from home depot (I managed to get one that was nearly the exact width of the cavity. $16) And then chisel around 1/8th inch out. I never chiseled before, but I found a ton of how-to sites on the web. Before, I went to local luthiers in San Diego, and they all wanted around $100 to do the work.

I learned how to solder for this adventure too. Most of the tips I got came from searching these boards. Good Luck.
  6. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I did it with a file. You need to take off the paint + another millimeter or so. It was pretty easy and you can't even tell unless you stare at it from one inch distance.