Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Feb 14, 2001.

1. I read in a few posts that the bridge and neck pickups in MIM Fender Jazz basses are the same size. Can one still get the 3 tones from the normal pickups? What are the Squier Jazz Pickups like?

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I recently got a MIM Jazz and couldnt play it with the stock pickups because they hummed so badly.So I wound up replacing them with a pair of Fender Lace-Sensor pickups,and the hum is gone.Had to do minimal trimming to put them in,but overall its an easy swap.Sounds great now.So if youre planning on getting a MIM Jazz,plan on new pickups too.Im surprised that Fender hasnt done something about this.I know its not a top shelf bass,but it shouldnt hum right out of the box either.

As far as the Squier Jazz,I played one the other night at the local music store,played thru a Fender Bassman 100 amp,and it sounded good,no hum either.Not a bad bass for the price($250).