Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by relman, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Alright. I went to a guitar shop last week to try out a new shipment of MIM basses. I tried a Jazz that i really liked, but whenever I moves the tone knob an incredible amount of hum set in. I screwed around with other amps and cords but it was still there. Has it ever happened to anyone else on these basses?

2. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i dont know from personal experence but the most common problem with MIMs is the sheilding. get yourself a sheilding kit or something and put some copper sheilding around the control cavity. i think this should fix your problem.

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    This is the number one complaint I hear about the MIM Jazz. I tried a couple myself and the hum drove me crazy.
    Why Fender continues to ignore this...is beyond me.

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Which knob was it?

It's possible the knob you adjusted was not the tone knob, but the blend knob for the PUPs.

If that's the case, then what has been said already is true. When both pickups are up full(blend knob in middle) then hum is usually kept to a minimum. However, mixing in one pickup more than the other brings out that annoying hum. The hum cancellation only works when they are both full on. This limits the tonal possibilities of the bass unfortunately, and is a common complaint with the MIM's.

Look into a shielding kit as was suggested, and also there are some aftermarket pickups that could help the situation too. The stock MIM PUPs are not that great, but you can get a lot of bass for the money.

5. If its the tone knob, it might be a bad pot, my friends peavy does a crazy thing only when you turn one of the tone knobs. If it is only apparent on one bass, it is likely to be a bad pot, which will cost ya 'bout $5, or thereabouts.

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yeah that last post is correct, could just be a bad pot too. Cheap replacement.

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I just went through this with my MIM Jazz.The problem is the pickups.Fender used the same pickups(evidently to keep the price of the bass down) for the bridge and neck position,and since the internal windings of them are the same,they cant cancel hum from each other.The MIA Jazz,on the other hand,has different pickups wound opposite that create the humbucking effect when set at the same level.Solution for the MIM? Either plan on new pickups right away(thats what I did) or find another bass.Believe me,I wasnt pleased with it either,Ive had K-Mart quality basses that didnt hum.I wonder whether Fender realizes theres a problem here????

You can hide some of the hum with the tone knob,but you wind up killing your sound in the process.Good luck.

8. I've heard that one of the reasons it hums is because the the pickup in the neck is the same one as in the bridge, therefor making it a non hum-cancelling bass. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what I heard. You could look for a MIA Jazz that is used and might come out with a good deal. My MIA P-Bass cost me $300 used and I love it, cuz it's the same price as a brand new MIM J-Bass. Good luck!

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The pickups are the same size, but a correctly manufactured MIM Jazz has the bridge pickup wound reverse from the neck one, giving a hum cancelling effect when both are full on.

But I have played several in shops that apparently have both pups wound the same way, with both pups full on the hum was louder than 1 alone.

Just another example of the quality control issues that people have griped about for years.

The MIA stuff does appear to be getting a lot more consistent, but the MIMs are pretty hit & miss.

10. The Mexi's do NOT have Reverse-wound, Reverse-poled pickups. Only the American's and re-issues have that setup.

chris

11. I justwent to the Fender website to check my above post. It says the "new" Mexi's DO have bi-pole pickups. They must have been listening when we were all complaining about the hum. Up until now, they were the same pickup in both positions to save money. If you were thinking of getting one, wait and get the newer ones with good pickups.

Chris

12. Havent they all been bi-pole? Mine is a bi-pole, but it still hums like crazy. Im thinkin of making my own in a few months, if my financial supply grows

13. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I don't undestand Fender manners on the MIM basses/guitars. They seem to have a lot of flaws, unpredictible from one instrument to another.
    Considering a lot of cheaper instruments are flawless, they should be more carefull for their reputation ... and sales.
    I'm not criticizing Fender instruments themself, but the way the "cheaper" ones are treated, and thus the customers.
    I was thinking about buying a MIM Fretless JB, but considering there are only a very little amount of them in my town' stores, and since I've read so many bad reports about the MIM basses, I'll try another brand. I don't want to get a flawed one and make other expenses to improve it.

14. RGL

RGL

Feb 13, 2001
    Portland,Maine
    My 2000 MIM Jazz hummed a little and rolling off the tone corrected the problem. I deceided to replace the pickups with inexpensive Basslines Vintage hum cancelling pickups ($42 each). This modification resulted in a dramatic improvement in both tone and volume. In my opinion this enhancement is only cost effective if you are capable of modifing the body yourself and can handle the soldering as the pickups do not fit without enlarging the bridge pickup cavity. A Dremel tool works exceptionally well for this and with a little common sense and a steady hand you can achieve great results. I went ahead and spent another $18 and put in Fender American pots & knobs. Additionally; I added the Baddass II bridge and of course, new strings. Bye the way, I would strongly recommend to anyone considering a Baddass II bridge, to NOT use the screws that are supplied with the bridge as the ones I got were garbage. Instead, find some high quality stainless steel screws which match the supplied screws in length and head design and use those. Three of the five supplied screws snapped off in the body before they were halfway in. This resulted in having to remove the Baddass from the body and relocate it 1/8" behind the factory holes. Further disassembly of the bass was required as a drill press is the only way to insure accuracy and perfect alignment of the new holes. Fortunately intonation seems fine but this was needless to say, quite a dissapointment. Was it worth it?..... No it was not.

15. I must say, I used the supplied screws with no problems. I can't recall whether I drilled a small pilot hole in the bottom of the existing hole or not to help. I may have if I met resistance while driving in the screw. Anyway, mine worked fine.

Also has Dimarzio DP123 humcancelling split coils that I installed. My dream tone, and noiseless.

Chris

[​IMG]

16. RGL

RGL

Feb 13, 2001
    Portland,Maine
    I was very surprised when they snapped as I had never heard of any problems with the Baddass II or the hardware that is provided with the bridge. I don't know what caused the failure. I actually deceided to go forward with the modifications after reading your post and viewing your photograph a while ago. I by no means wish to discredit the product, in fact I would recommend it highly for those seeking a replacement for the substandard Mex.bridge. Maybe I should have enlarged the holes or checked the alignment more carefully. Anyway I would still use a better grade fastener as your pretty much screwed if you snap them off. Do you know what effect moving the bridge back 1/8" from the intended location changes?

Thanks

17. It shouldn't change anything as long as the saddles can be moved to the proper point for intonation. I think you'll be ok.

Chris

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Did you drill pilot holes or just screw directly into the wood?

Rubbing a bar of soap on the screw threads can make them go in much easier.

19. I'd be careful with that. Soap might lubricate the screws on their way in, but in a couple of years when you decide to change the bridge again, you might find it very difficult to get the screws out. Soap can often corrode metal. It can also have adverse effects on wood.

A drop of oil might work, but you'd have to be careful that it doesn't stain the body in any visible way.

Best way is to drill a proper pilot, diameter equal to the shaft diameter (not the thread diameter) of the screw.

Soap is something I was warned about back when I was building a boat.

FF.