Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sharp, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    i just got a used Fender MIM Jazz, but i dont know what year. i heard some thing about change in pickups and replacing pickups being a huge pain.
    2 requests:

1- Whats this whole deal with the MIM jazz? i just want to know most or all of the story.

2- How would i tell if the pickups were different? Is there some test? dimensions different or something... i dunno

please help me out here-

Tom

2. american jazz basses have a slightly wider pickup in the bridge position....which makes sense, since the strings are slightly farther apart. the mexicans, on the other hand had to identical pickups until.......2001? somewhere around there. after 2001 (or whatever the real date is) they started putting the two different pickups in mexican-made basses as well. just measure the pickups. if they're the same length. it's from before 2001 (or the real date of the change).

the other way to tell the year...if you feel comfortable with it... is to remove the neck. mine had sept.15 1995 stamped in the neck pocket. sniff...my bass's birthday.

back to the response....most manufacturers make replacement pickup sets that include 2 different size pickups. so if you plan to upgrade pickups, you can either chisel/rout/remove some material from the ends of the bridge pickup rout.....or buy two neck size pickups instead of a manufacturer's set.

3. WHats the serial number?

The first letter should be M, that stands for Mexican, I presume, the next number tells what decade it is, mine is MN9XXXXXX, so mine is a 1999 model The 2000 and 2001 start MZ0XXXXX and MZ1XXXXXX