Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Jazzes: What I should know:

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    So I read on here awhile back that there were certain years of MIM jazz basses that were made with different woods (poplar?) and didn't sound or hold up as great as some others. What should I know about the MIM jazzes BEFORE I buy sight unseen (off ebay, for instance).

Someone once told me to stay away from the ones with strat style knobs. Is that a sign of the "bad" ones? What's a good year? Someone else said '98 was a good year.

2. I got a 2000 model with the standard knobs... - best bass i've got (it was compared to the MIA equivalent by my teacher)

Get a 2000/2001 model - play a few (if you can) and pick the best - you may get a good 'un! :bassist:

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    In either 2000 or 2001-they did some sort of redesign/rework of them. I think they changed them to alder bodies [someone else verify this?], and added in the correct pickups-rather than having 2 neck pickups as the pre-2k1/2k basses had, they have a pickup that is reverse wound so that when the volume knobs are at the same level-they hum cancel.

I'm not sure if there's much difference.

FWIW-i own a '97 MIM Jazz Bass-it hums a bit, but i still play it [tuned as a picc].

That's all

4. Yes, my MIM Jazz is a 2004 or 2005,(new from Sam Ash....who knows how long it was on the wall) and is alder-bodied.

nice bass too, btw.

5. Yep! I love my 2004. It may not impress gear snobs but it is most definatly a smoking bass. I installed Dimarzio model js and dressed her up abit but she was great right out of the box. I think most of the issues with mims these days are set up related which I don't consider to be a big deal.

6. I bought a new MIM fretless (its 2004 or 2005, dunno), and changed pickups to vintage Lundgren ones. Setup was bit off, neck was good, but it had too high action and intonation was weird.

Anyway, I changed pickups, strings, set up action to my liking and fixed intonation and it plays like a charm. It may not be a sadowsky, but its good enough for me.