Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Jazz's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedGrange, Jul 20, 2001.

1. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I want a 4 string jazz bass... I was wondering if there was any difference between the MIM active and the normal ones... besdies the pick-ups... is it worth the extra cash.. or buying the standard and replacing the pick-ups be a better opinion. I already have a Geddy Lee model.. just want another jazz

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    it is more of a taste thing. Active gets a harsh sound w/o signal loss, while passive sounds warmer and smoother. And you don't need to plug in a bunch of 9 volts.

I dislike actives (i really, really loath them,) but that is just my taste. I think i'm going to quote myself, "Putting an active pickup on a fender is like putting a humbucking pick-up on a tele, or a moustache on the mona lisa."

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I own an mim deluxe active jazz bass, I use it as a backup for gigs and sometimes as my main bass at rehearsals. The wood of the deluxe active jazz is made from poplar just like the standard mim jazz's are. the necks are both one piece maple..in fact it has all the same charactoristics of the mim standards...the difference is the pickups and etronics. But because of this the sound is deeper, warmer, and much fuller. unlike the standard jazz's, it gives you 3 bands of on board eq capabilites so you can further refine your tone. The etronics/pickups on the mim jazz bass deluxe are also extremely quiet unlike the standard mim's are. IMO this bass is worth the little bit extra they charge for it.

4. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    what about buying a standard MIM and replacing the pick-ups... and maybe the neck down the road?

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The reason to buy a MIM STD Jazz for upgrading is that you have a decent body & neck to work with. I've had a few MIM P's & J's the necks were always nice. The p/u's & hardware were another story.[​IMG]

As for the MIM DLX Jazz, I think that is one of the best basses Fender makes. I've compared it to the USA DLX's w/the Noiseless p/u's & IMO, the MIM sounded much better (& it cost more than 1/2). I'd personally go with the MIM DXL & if you still feel the need to upgrade, put a set of Schaller tuning machines & bridge on it. Then you will have a TRUELY KILLER BASS!!!!! Man I feel some major G.A.S [​IMG] coming. LOL!!!

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    the neck on the mim's is'nt all that bad, and after you pay for replacement pickups, new neck (if you should choose to do so) youd have spent just as much if not more than it wouldve cost to get the mim dlx active jazz.

Like Nino said, a new bridge and tuners would be about the only modification youd need to do...ive had my mim dlx active for some time now and havent changed a thing on it.

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Ive also got a MIM deluxe J,and at this point its my main Bass,followed by a passive MIA P.The only changes Ive made are a Badass 2 and a set of Slowounds.Imo a great Bass for the price.