1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM JB : setup needed frequently ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NJXT, Jun 10, 2001.

1. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I've got my MIM Jazz for 2 months now, and it has been set up once 3 weeks after I bought it (it was buzzing like hell).
    I made the pups changed at the same time.
    Then, somewhat 2 or 3 weeks after, last thursday, I changed the strings (to DR-Hi Beams ... love 'em !) and I had a rehearsal.
    I didn't played it since yesterday and it starts buzzing again.
    I'm quite surprised.
    Is it common that this kind of bass needs to be set up often ?
    My previous basses (Hohner, Ibanez, BassCOllection) were set up two or three times a year.

2. I'd probably chalk up the need for a setup to the fact that you changed brand of strings, and I'm assuming you changed gauges or went to piano-wound or something.

They do need setup every few months I think. I've messed with mine twice in about 2 years.

Chris

3. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Well, I was carefull to keep the same gauge (45-65-80-100), even if it's in a different brand.
    I had several diffrent basses (all japanese or asians) during the last 13 years but none that get "de-set-up" so fast, even after changing strings (with the same gauge, of course).
    Perhaps I was lucky :D
    Well... it's probable that the DR strings has less tension than the Fender's.
    Thx anyway.