Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM JB : setup needed frequently ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NJXT, Jun 10, 2001.

1. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I've got my MIM Jazz for 2 months now, and it has been set up once 3 weeks after I bought it (it was buzzing like hell).
    I made the pups changed at the same time.
    Then, somewhat 2 or 3 weeks after, last thursday, I changed the strings (to DR-Hi Beams ... love 'em !) and I had a rehearsal.
    I didn't played it since yesterday and it starts buzzing again.
    I'm quite surprised.
    Is it common that this kind of bass needs to be set up often ?
    My previous basses (Hohner, Ibanez, BassCOllection) were set up two or three times a year.

2. I'd probably chalk up the need for a setup to the fact that you changed brand of strings, and I'm assuming you changed gauges or went to piano-wound or something.

They do need setup every few months I think. I've messed with mine twice in about 2 years.

Chris

3. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Well, I was carefull to keep the same gauge (45-65-80-100), even if it's in a different brand.
    I had several diffrent basses (all japanese or asians) during the last 13 years but none that get "de-set-up" so fast, even after changing strings (with the same gauge, of course).
    Perhaps I was lucky :D
    Well... it's probable that the DR strings has less tension than the Fender's.
    Thx anyway.