Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM neck pocket

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mind Eroded, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    looking at my MIM jazz i noticed the neck pocket was pretty wide. it looks like i can fold construction paper into 4ths and fit it into there. is this a common thing on MIM fenders or fenders in general? Just for the record i also own a carlo robelli which was alot cheaper than the fender and it has a pretty tight fitting pocket.

2. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    yes it's common. MIM's (and MIA's, too, regrettably) vary greatly in that regard. You can either shim it, ignore it, or return it.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Certain times of the year you will notice necks bowing strings just dying and other abnomalities on your basses. this sometimes is due to weather changes (changing seasons) Like doors that swell after the rain or sharp frets today and next month they feel fine. Basses are only wood, (they shrinks and swell) and they are affected by weather changes also. it should be no big deal.

P.S. a friend of mine wanted to jam tonight and he went through a bunch of basses before he found one with a straight neck to play with. From warmth to cold will do this!

4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I've never heard of seasonal variations accounting for a neck pocket gap of the size he describes. Necks, yes. Neck pockets.....er, no.

I agree that it should be no big deal EXCEPT if he finds that he's able to pull the neck vertically while it's hanging on a strap. This will put him out of tune faster than my Pappi could skin a squirrel.