Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM P-Bass and action...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazyphil, Sep 16, 2002.

1. I got a MIM Fender P-Bass 2 days ago and love the sound. My only gripe is the extremely high action due to the interesting position of the pickups. Is there a way to lower it (perhaps making the pickups flat instead of angled) or will this ruin the tone?

On the other note, I could just bear it and get used to it.

2. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    The two halves of the P pickup are angled to follow the curvature of the fretboard. If you adjusted it flat, then your A and D string would not sound as loud as your E and G string. If the fretboard was flat, then you would have no problem.

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well, you can lower both pickups whilst still keeping the angle. Then you should be able to lower the bridge saddles in order to lower the action.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey dude if you are not sure about doin this yourself then have some one do it for you . A good set up can make an instrument sound to it's fullest potential. Did you buy from a store? take it back setup should be free new or used. If you bought it from somebody find a good guitar tech and tell him what you want. this is not expensive, and you might get to see him do it. this way you will know how to do this for yourself.

5. I'm familiar with the setup from a theoretical point of view, but haven't done a full setup hands-on. I bought it new from a store and I have a free setup so I think I'll use it. Thanks