1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MiM P-bass deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DivXovore, Apr 2, 2006.

1. DivXovore

DivXovore

Mar 24, 2006
    Seville, Spain
    Hello everyone. Long time reader, second post.

I´ve been playing for almost a year and i was considering an upgrade to a Yamaha BB414, but also looking for a beater/backup bass that also had a decent sound. I have a somewhat newbie question: after reading all the posts talking about the differences of the Fender P/J basses when it comes to countries of production, I may get a second hand ´95 MiM P-Bass for 150 euro (that´s about 120 USD, i think). Could this bass do the job?. I seek a pop/rockish sound (Oasis, The Cure, some Doors), nothing metal or that kind of stuff

Any kind of advice will be helpful.

Thanks everyone.

2. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Yup, that would be fine for that type of music. A "P" is always a great choise for a good solid rock sound as you described. That seems like a decent price for a used MIM Fender, provided it plays well and sounds good. The MIM's can be real good workhorse basses. Check out the SX P basses too if you get a chance. Lot's written on here about them, and about the same money as the used MIM.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I agree with the previous post that you can't go wrong with a P-bass, provided it's in good condition. And if the MIM Fender is in good condition, I think it would be much better than a new SX. I know some disagree, but I have both, and while the SX is an amazing product for its price, I don't think it's in the same league as a good MIM Fender.

But your Yamaha will do the P thing with its P/J setup, so for a backup you might want a Jazz. I don't think in terms of "backup," but more about other instruments that could cover lots of the same ground, but add new tonal dimensions too. On the other hand, I firmly believe you can't have too many P-basses, and you might not get a better deal, so it's probably worth it.

4. I'd be tempted if it was near me - and you're never a REAL bassist till you've at least got ONE Fender...:p :bag:

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

150 Euros = 182 USD

6. $182 = £100-ish (a new one costs £550-ish - GET IT!!!)

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I do like the MIM Fenders, however, the SX does have some real advantages. The two biggest advantages the SX has is an Alder body. I think the newer MIM Fenders are Alder, but I believe a lot of the older ones were Basswood or something like that.(the Fender catalog use to say "solid tonewood body" ei not Alder or Ash) Also, and I can't emphisise this enough, the SX uses a laquer finish vs the Fender Poly finish. The laquer finish lets the body resonate better, getting more out of the Tonewood. The custom shop/re issue Fender basses use the former, not the latter. Keep in mind, that I'm not trying to prevoke a flame war here, just point out a few diffences in two similarly priced instruments. Either one would be great for the type of music you want to play.

8. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

new ones arnt as high as 550, MIMs go for around 300 new.

i think the americans are around 500 though

but still +several on the GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Where do you go guitar shopping man? - Sound control by the bus station is crap, Steel City guitars only have cheap stuff...Academy of sound (now "other sound control") is too far to get to without a car...

10. DivXovore

DivXovore

Mar 24, 2006
    Seville, Spain
    Thank you guys for your interest and opinions.

Yeah, that´s right. I did the conversion the other way around! ;P

I´m sorry my city may be too far to get by car from where you live. I am from Seville, South of Spain ;P

Well, it seems that bass will be mine after a long year playing with an active Storm (kinda ok for a copy bass, though). Hope this kills all the GAS...

...no, it won´t, really ;P.