Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mim p bass fret buzz? help me

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ampegloud, Nov 15, 2002.

1. ampegloud

ampegloud Guest

Oct 14, 2002
    kansas city mo
    my new mim p bass from american musical ,ive adj the action ,the bridge, to almost specs and then some ,i tune down half step,when i play open e string it rattles near the nut ? any body have an idea,be4 i send this thing back and stick with my warwick corvette which i love and has no buzz,yeah it cost 3 times as much !!!!!

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Detune or destring the bass, you should be able to raise the saddle height on the bridge but being that the buzz is near the nut I dunno if that will help enough. It's also probably gonna heighten the action which you may/may not like. If that doesnt do the trick, I would find exactly which frets are giving the buzz and take a small luthiers file to the fret. If you aren't confident in filing the fret(s) then I would take it to a tech/luthier and they should be able to set it up for you correctly for a decent price. Use caution if you decide to file yourself, if you file too much you'll damage the fret and then re-fretting will be in order....that will cost money. The problem you're having is one that is inherant with those necks, but as I have had to do with some of mine.....it's not that bad of a situation to fix. I hope this helps a little.

3. Perhaps loosening of the truss rod slightly would help?

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Sounds more like an issue for the Setup forum.

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I agree.

6. jmacke

jmacke

Oct 7, 2002
    scotland
    Quite often people try to get their bass action "perfect" by attempting to get the neck/ fingerboard absolutely flat and straight. This is wrong. Due to the nature of the string vibration, and size of strings, a bass neck should always have a slight curve, to allow free movement.
    If your neck is curved, and you are only gettin buzz near the nut on your Estring, then all that is wrong is the depth of the slot that the string is sittin in. A small bit of matchstick , or carboard inserted in the slot will let you find out quickly , if that is the case. At that end of the neck , a few microns in heght makes all the difference. If it is cured by a spacer, then a new nut is all you need