Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM P-bass: Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JeffreyG, Jan 31, 2003.

1. I usually ignore threads like this, and I never thought I would post one but...

I just happened across a MIM P bass for $199. It played nice, about what I would expect from a MIM. There are some serious dings in the lacquer on the back, but nothing on the top. What concerns me the most though is a tiny bit of wiggle at the neck joint. I pointed this out to the guy and he said he'd tighten the bolts to see if it helped.

My questions are these:

Am I crazy for even considering this?

Is there anything that can be done about the neck (assuming the tightening dosen't help)?

I am primarily a basement player and I am very gentle with my basses. I think this one might just need a good home and some TLC. I would appreciate the advice of my fellow TB'ers.

2. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I have a MIM P. It's pretty good...bought it for $225 with EMGs. Neck is solid.

...not sure if $199 for a bass with possible neck problems is a good deal.

good luck.

3. Hey Jeff. Good to see you're thinking of adding another bass. I think you know my feelings about MIM Fenders. $199 is a steal IMO.

BTW, Kurt and I were wondering if you're gonna want your head and cab back soon since you and the wife were cleaning your basement.

:)

See ya soon.

4. How much do they cost ne win the states? $300?

I wouldn't buy a s/h bass for 200 when you could get a new *perfect* one for a bit more.. :)

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, in the states, it's more like 300 something new. They are a good deal, but "Essex" basses are an even better deal. check them out. CHEAP, and pretty awesome basses to boot.

6. Well I went and took a closer look at it. The neck is nice and tight now that we tightened the bolts. I had some money burning a whole in my pocket so I went with it. It's solid. The only reason it was marked down were some scratches, and those don't bother me. I probably could have found a better deal from a private party, but like I said, I wasn't really looking so I just went with it.

7. They go for 389 just about everywhere, its the standard for MIM Ps and Js.

Good buy, Jeff, enjoy the new bass! Now where's the pics? :)

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Congrats. $200 is a very good price on an MIM P bass. Enjoy!!!!

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I paid $200 for my Crimson red bass used about a year and a half ago. I can honestly say that I prefer its feel to that of my Am P Bass.

A local bassist swears by his stable of MIM P basses. His only mod is to swap the Mexi pup out with a Lindy Fralin p pup. What an amazing tone upgrade!!!!

Enjoy your new P Bass!!!

10. Yea, I really like the Mexi basses that I've played. They really suit my situation (no professional gigs, basement player, wife and kids). Sure I'd love to have a Lakland or a vintage Fender, but anything over $1000 is out of the question for now.

I probably will upgrade the pups someday. I'll go with Fralins, or SD Antiquities or Fender CS to go for vintage tone. My MIM J gets pups first though, this money was going for that until I found this P-bass. The only upgrades I'll make any time soon are cosmetic (shell guard and chrome knobs.)

If your interested I can post a pic, but it's nothing too exciting (but I like it). Just a sunburst mexi P bass with a rosewood board. In fact I probably wouldn't have wanted it as much if it wasn't sunburst.

11. If you get a real good deal on the bass, you could always add like a Warmoth neck or something for stability, although that would yank the price up :(

12. I saw a MIM P-Bass for $199 at Music-Go-Round on Univeristy Ave. in Spring Lake Park last Friday. If this isn't the same one you might want to check it out if you think the other one might have neck problems.