1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM P-Bass Modding Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Orpheus55, Apr 14, 2009.

1. I'm pimping a 60th anniversary MIM Standard P-bass and wonder if anyone's had problems mounting the pickup cover and thumbrest due to under-pickguard routing (I would look but I'm too lazy to undo the pots and everything at the moment). I know I have to bend the cover slightly to accomomdate the holes in the '62 reissue guard. BTW, It's white parchment on midnight-wine and I'll be adding the bridge cover and "tug bar" for aesthetics. Lastly, will pickguard screws work for the covers? or do I need to special order the ones that MF doesn't supply. Thanks!

2. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    Sometimes the treble side of the pup cover screw misses the wood but as long as the hole is slightly smaller the pickguard screw should thread its way through the PG just fine as long as you don't crank on it and strip the plastic. Bending the cover is fairly common. Pickguard screws are fine for mounting the cover but on the screw that misses the wood you might want to try a machine type screw with fine threads.

Ok mods . . . this'll probably get moved . . .

3. I have a '01 MIM Standard P and had no problems, that I'm aware of, installing the pup cover and thumbrest.
    However, one screw in missing in the gold guard I added due to the control cavity.

325f.

4. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    I've a 02 MiM P... fitted covers and thumbrest no probs...

[​IMG]

It never occurred to me there may be an issue with the routing... oops!

I just used the same screws as per the pickguard for the covers... don't drill out too much or the screws will have nothing to bite on, just use the drill to start them off.

5. Wow! Sweet looking basses. I'm all fired up now. I love the plain white compared to the pearloid; pix to come!

6. Is that pearl guard the kind that comes with the "extra" holes to accomodate a cover and thumbrest, or did you just drill into a standard model? Looks fantastic!

7. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Hey thanks! Standard pearl guard... I was going to swap it out for tort but decided it was great! I drilled it out... no pre holes.