Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM P-bass nut problem, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dabluesman, Nov 20, 2000.

1. dabluesman

dabluesman Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Tennessee
    I think this might be more of a string problem than the nut.. Anyway, I was playing my MIM Fender P-bass yesterday and I kept feeling something strange when I fretted the A string, it sounded strange too. I looked at it closer and to my surprise the string was out of its notch in the nut. I could put it back or move it around with my finger... I thought that the string tension is usualy so tight that you cant move it out of the notch that easily. Could a bad or wore out string cause this to happen? Any ideas anyone? Thanks!

Oh, just wanted to add that these strings are the originals that came with the bass (I think its a later 90's model.) I bought it off a guy on Ebay who never played it. When I got it, everything was still in factory position... So I'm thinking that the strings are just bad, especially that A string. So, is this my problem, the string is just bad?

[Edited by dabluesman on 11-20-2000 at 11:36 AM]

2. Sounds like there is not enough down pressure on the A string to the nut. I've got the same prob on my MIM Jazz. When you put new strings on, make sure you leave enough extra length on the A string to wind down on the tuner post so that the wind extends down towards the headstock, which will pull the A string down through the nut, most likely fixing the problem. If not, get a new nut put on.

Chris

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    dabluesman, I suppose anything is possible but I seriously doubt that this is a string related problem.

The usual cause is a lack of break angle over the nut or a too shallow string notch. Also make sure that there are enough wraps around the post to ensure that the string is exiting low on the post.

Some basses use a string tree to eleminate this problem but if there wasn't one on the bass from the factory, I would hesitate to install one. I make every effort to keep things as original as possible. Makes a big difference at trade-in time.

Pkr2

4. dabluesman

dabluesman Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Tennessee
    Yup, I believe thats the problem. That string has slipped on the peg or something and is now exiting off the top. I'll restring it and see what happens. Thanks, that will probably take care of it!

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    throbbinnut: Sorry about the parrot post. I didn't realize that you had posted while I was typing.:)

At least we know that we're in tune.:) :)

Pkr2