MIM P bass, serial no. not found

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JDA04OSU, May 12, 2019.

1. JDA04OSU

JDA04OSU Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Just purchased a 1992 Fender MIM P bass. When I go to the Fender serial number look-up site and plug in the numbers, it says, "Sorry, no results..."

It does lead with MN2, consistent with the 1992 date advertised. Is there anything unusual about the fact that it doesn't show up in the Fender serial number search engine?

2. I'm pretty sure there was a fire at some point in the mid 90s at the Mexican plant and a lot of records were lost.

3. steve_ss

steve_ss Shiny, let's be bad guys. Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Southern NJ, USA
    Call Fender support line Monday morning. Ask them. Every time I've called they've been very friendly and helpful. See what they say. Their phone number is on their website.

4. JDA04OSU

JDA04OSU Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    FWIW, Fender couldn't find it either but didn't seem surprised (hey, it was the 90's after all). They just confirmed that the MN2 does mean it was made in Mexico in 1992 or 1993.

I have the bass in my possession now and have taken it apart. There's a date stamped at the neck heel that I initially thought said 1996, but maaaaybe that last number is a 3 after all? Also, why does the neck pocket look so jacked up? Are there ways to date the body or the pots? I included some pics.

Just trying to learn more as I dissect this thing. Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021