1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM P-bass street price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the art guy, Nov 12, 2010.

1. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    What does a Mexican Standard Fender P go for out the door these days? I haven't shopped my local stores in a while, and don't really have time to. But I'm curious if it's changed much in the last couple years.

2. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT

Well...do you have access to the internet? ;)

Cuz "Musicians freind" website is where I usually go to get an Idea of pricing on stuff.

It usually takes less time than a new post. ;)

JK

3. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Yeah, big thanks for the sarcasm - I guess what I should have asked is: can you buy one at the store for exactly what musiciansfriend.com lists them for? Maybe this is a dumb question to most, but not to me.

4. Most stores if they are smart will match Musicians Friend pricing, or lose business.

5. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    I buy and sell 4-6 Fender basses a month. I buy them off of Craigslist or Pawn shops. I will pay about $250 for a mint or near mint P bass, MIM standard. If it has a factory hard case, maybe $30-$40 more. I can usually sell a bass for at least $50 more than I paid for it. Color is important for it's resale.
    Rocky

6. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    I see used ones anywhere from 250 to 350 for a mexican one

7. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Used would be the way to go. For my two used ones, I paid $299 for the '02, and $250 for the '94. Both are in excellent condition, and the '02 could pass for a brand new one if not for some very minor fret wear.

If you're looking for used, don't pay more than that range for a MIM. Some dolt locally has been trying to sell his on CL for the last two months by asking virtually the same price as a new one, claiming the mid-90's ones are better than the newer ones.

8. The most I really feel like paying for a MIM standard is about 200$, over the summer i got on with a G&G case for 150$, 180$ last year for a mint electron blue one and alot of MIM jazz's for 200$ or less.Used is sweet.

Local stores are usually more then guitar center.

9. Dang... i must live in a cruddy area... MIM stuff usually goes for $300-$400 here $400 to $500+ if it's active :meh:

Also, i hardly EVER see MIM P basses on CL here. It's literally about 10 jazzes for every P.

10. Yves

Yves

Oct 28, 2010
    I just picked up a used 07 MIM P for 200 even. A good deal here in L.A.

11. Dang, 'yall... send some cheapy MiM P basses this-a-way :(

12. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Hey Din, don't worry, I live in the DC metro area like you and its more expensive here. I just bought a nice '04 MIM Jazz on TB for $400 shipped. I know that when buying online, your location does not matter, just saying that after shopping around I decided that $400 was a fair price for this bass. It has 2 small cracks in the finish, but nothing that is noticeable from the front. Otherwise it looks very close to new, and I liked the Agave Blue color too.

A couple months ago I passed on a MIM P/J that was for sale on CL for $35. It played fine, not great, but plenty good for that money. But ultimately I decided I wanted something a little nicer, and even though $35 was below dirt cheap, it still was not something I wanted to add to the stable. Maybe a mistake, but I knew I did not want it.

13. Ahhh, good to know i wasn't the onlyone borked with higher cost MIM stuff!! I got a midnight wine Jazz a few years ago for $350... but its truss rod snapped a week later. Luckily i was able to sell the body and recoup a bit of the loss.

This is the bass that's been around, i may have to check it out if, in this area, $300 is a decent price http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/2056060388.html

Love the color!

14. bassguitar808

bassguitar808

Jul 9, 2010
    bought a 96 MiM P for $220

sold it for $280 w/ extra pickguard

it was in perfect shape,
    not even a scratch on the poly

15. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Given that this price is pretty low to begin with, the variation in price won't be more than $20/$30... When I was selling guitars in a local store, Fender was a "B" mark item, meaning that the store paid 60% of the retail price for the piece -

So MF lists a MIM J bass with a retail price $830 that they are selling for $600.

60% of 830 is 498 - call it $500 cost to MF. Selling it for $600 leave them a margin of $100, out of which they have a whole bunch of expenses, not the least of which is their free shipping...

Methinks $600 is a fair price - I'd be shocked if you saw it for much less than this anywhere... That said, I wouldn't buy this from MF - I'd buy it from a store since you want to select the one bass that feels good - these things can be very inconsistent, so you want to play before you pay!