Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM P-Bass - Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ushtey, Dec 10, 2000.

1. Ushtey

Ushtey

Mar 21, 2000
    UK
    I was thinking about buying a MIM P-Bass (cant afford a MIA) and was wondering how easy these things are to upgrade (pickups etc)

Can anyone who has done some upgrading on this bass let me know What you did & if it was a success.

Cheers

2. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    My post on "Basses on Ebay" has a MIA precision for the same price as mim.

3. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Fenders are the easiest of all to upgrade since theyre so popular everyone in the aftermarket biz is on board.That said you may well find theres not much on the mims that need upgrading.I would replace the bridge with either a Gotoh 201 or BA-2,both are retro and require no mods to install.Maybe the tuners but mine held fine on my mim J.As to the pups,i think they sounded fine on the ones ive tried.Good luck!

4. jrock111

jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The two upgrades I did that made a big difference were replacing the bridge and the stock pickups and it made a big improvement in the sound. The bridge is the first thing most people replace on this bass, the pickups are subjective, you mght like the sound, but most people don't. I replaced mine with a Badass 2 bridge and a Bartolini 8S pickup, which I highly recommend. Cosmetic wise, you may want to replace the cheesy plastic white knobs with the chrome knurled ones so it will look like a real P-bass.

5. I would save yourself the trouble and just buy a Godin SD bass. For the price of the upgrades (or less) you can get yourself a really well made Canadian/American bass that's on par with a US Fender (although I think the Godin has a better neck). Besides, the SD has P/J wiring so you'll get some extra tone for your money too.

The wood, finish, workmanship, pickups and bridge are miles ahead of the MIM Fender. The tone is the better too.

In fact, I recently was in a shop and glanced at the wall of MIM Fenders and I couldn't believe how crappy the finishes looked. Very cloudy.

6. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    Find yourself a good MIM P and you'll have a good platform for upgrades. Go to a dealer and play a bunch, then grab the one that fits just right. These are good, solid instruments but there are a few bad ones in circulation, so make sure you can play 'em before you buy. I replaced the knobs with knurled metal controls the same day I bought mine. A couple of weeks later I changed the pickup to a Bartolini 8S and put a set of flatwounds on her. Good stuff.

7. Ushtey

Ushtey

Mar 21, 2000
    UK
    Thanks a lot Folks for that info!