Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM P-Bass vs. Essex P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CodeYbassboy, Jun 4, 2005.

1. On one hand the Essex costs $90 and the Fender costs upwards of $300 or something. On the other, I was playing my friend's MIM P on stage tonight, and it was pretty sweet, feel-wise. I felt the tone was a little too 'boxy' for my taste, but I'm sure with different p-ups, I could get a better sound.

I'm interested in owning a P-bass, and the Essex is way cheapter than the Fender, I was just wondering if there was a huge tone/quality difference.

-Dave

2. Tell you what Dave, I have a MIM P bass. I dropped in a Basslines Quarterpounder and put a Badass ll bridge on it, then with USA pots and Hipshot tuners, I got myself a quality bass guitar.................even if it did end up costing a fortune in upgrades :meh:

I guess you get what you pay for.

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    My MIM P-bass is all stock, and it's wonderful.

Don't know about the SX though.

4. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    +1 to MIM

5. I was playing your bass.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    This would be a daunting task-but you might want to check out the Essex Megathread for info on those. I played one of their Jazz Basses [was i think a $160 one] and that was enough for me to order 2 of their 5s.

The only thing that scares me a bit on any of the SXs are the necks. Everything else is easily swapped out-i'm not sure if a warmoth neck would fit on the SX body.

Do you plan on modding out the MIM? If so that's when i would start to lean towards the SX. Example: You get an alder bodied finished bass, with hardware. So you could easily drop in new p/us, if you wanted new bridge, and a few other things.

$399.99-434.69+s&h is the price i pulled from MF for a stock MIM P-Bass. $89.99 + s&h [about $15 IIRC] on the SX. Assuming you put the same parts on each-obviously, it'd be cheaper to mod out the essex. However, the overall quality level is where the real difference would be yet IMO, that's where it would really depend on personal preference on things such as the neck.

Here's something i just priced out [mainly for the fun of it].

Essex P-Bass $89.99
    Nordstrand P pu $109
    BA II Bridge: $60 [chrome]
    Hipshot American Classic Tuners: $75
    [FWIW-prices where from BestBassGear.com]
    Total [plus shipping] on all of that? $363.99

Ok so let's say $40 in shipping.
    $403.99 and the only thing stock on it would be the neck/pickguard and pots.

So you don't like the neck? I'm assuming that the warmoth necks fit. $167 +s&h on an unfinished maple w/rosewood neck. $570.99 for all of that. Now-i'd hope you like the neck enough to keep it stock.

After all of those mods-you would be up to the price of the MIM w/just the pickup mod. I realize my example was overkill, but hey-it was a train of thought.

FWIW-i own a 97 MIM Jazz Bass, the thing has never let me down. Tomorrow-i will receive 2 SX Jazz Basses, and will more than likely do a side by side comparison.

That's all

7. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    CamMcIntyre hit the nail on the head. If you want to keep it stock, go for the Fender, maybe even a nice used one to save some money. But If you want mod the heck out of the thing, go for the essex (thats what I decided on myself)

8. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    And it sounded damn sweet through the Hartke/Avatar stack. PICS!!!

9. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I got a SX SBJ-62MG:

Mod:
    SX SJB-62MG -- $116.00
    J-Retro Pre -- $299.00
    Dimarzio Ultra Jazz -- $100.00
    Badass Bridge II -- $64.50
    Copper Foil Tape & Kit - $32.00
    Allparts White Perloid Pickguard -- $35.00
    (new tuners, haven't figured out yet)
    Total (shipping included in price): $616.00

It plays better then every single American Jazz I've had my hands on. The tone is incredible, the copper foil shielding, and the badass bridge II drastically changed the tone and feel of the bass. I'm so glad I did this, I get pics up when the new pickguard arrives.

10. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I like MiM p-basses, I like them way more than the jazz basses.

My girlfriend had easily one of the most comfortable, easy to play, huge sounding P-basses I've ever tried. And it was a mex, I dropped in a set of SD hotstacks and bang, that bass was rippin.

I just got my first SX jazz bass, it rules. I kills my MiM jazz.
    I have yet to try their P-basses, but for the price, I'm going to fairly soon. Even if it sucks, it would only cost 150 tops, and I could easily sell it off for a little over half that, so not much loss their.
    They are a good project bass, you can't feel bad about ripping one apart and making a frankenstein out of it.

11. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I would never put that much $ into an SX

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA

Just curious, but would you put that much $ into a MIM? E.g. just adding a J-retro to a MIM puts it well into if not over that range. :)

That's all

13. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Well think about it, putting all those parts into an SX basically only leaves you with the stock body and neck. Both of which are pretty comparable to that on a standard fender. With all those upgrades you have a very playable, kick ass sounding bass that would pretty much surpass a stock standard fender and would come out to around the same price.

14. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Cool.