1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM P Bass vs. G&L Tribute SB-2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eddie27, Nov 7, 2010.

1. eddie27

eddie27

Jun 15, 2004
    Nashville
    I'm looking for an affordable bass for rock/alt country. Any opinions on Fender MIM P Bass and G&L Tribute SB-2? Or for that matter, any other makes in the same price range?

2. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    I'd go with the G&L Tribby hands down. A used one is a huge value for very little coin. The pickups are the same USA MFD's as used in the US G&L SB-2's. Great basses...

3. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

Apr 8, 2008
    My main bass, really my only bass at this time, is a MIM Precision which I really like. I have played a G&L SB 2 and it was a really nice bass. To be totally honest, if both basses were close in price, I would pick the G&L. In my opinion, having the option of being able to dial in some of the J bass pickup gives it a little more tonal variety over the P bass. I also like that it has a jazz bass width neck. Some have complained about the lack of a tone control on the G&L but that wouldn't bother me too much.

4. You can always do a tone control mod, with 2 concentric volumes; very common with the SB-2.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    G&L all the way. MIM Fenders have been darned good in recent years, but they still don't stack up to G&L Tributes, and the SB-2's MFD split-coil is simply incredible. It's a chep mod to add a tone control, but you can get a wide tonal range by manipulating the two volumes. The MFD split-coil is really hot, and by rolling back the volume you can get a more vintage tone.

6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    A bit "left field", but since you asked for alternatives....

Epiphone Jack Casady Bass -

n:ANd9GcRO8ObqqlVQ7Wgoxnaxtf7O-0B0aT-xrTXjLrb93dVJd8XGddQ&t=1&usg=__Wm4f87dTo_dBV7nk4-kWOUUYPEQ=.

[​IMG]

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    G&L. Not even a contest.

8. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I prefer my (US) SB-2 to the American Deluxe Jazz I used to own, the MFD pickups are killer. Since the Tribute gets great praise for quality around here and it runs the same pickups as the US, I'd get the G&L myself. Or keep an eye out for a good deal on a used US SB-2. I scored mine for $350 over the summer, so deals are out there if you're the lucky sort.

9. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    I play americana with my G&L Tribute (L2500). It's a trio, so I'm definitely playing out front in the mix. I modeled my sound on REM's Driver 8 - twangy/growly bridge pickup, and the G&L's flexibility let's me get that at the flip of a switch.

For our acoustic sets, I change to a thick upright-style sound, and flip to the neck pickup while plucking with my thumb and resting my right hand on the strings. Sounds so cool, I'm tempted to use it all the time, but it gets lost in a louder context.