1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM Pbass pickguard frustration

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bumperbass, Mar 28, 2013.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Got a pickguard today from ebay that was stated as fitting American and Mexican Pbasses. Did it fit? Of course not. Even if I move it slightly around the neck pocket so that the control cavity is covered, the holes in the bass are way off. I ordered another one from thestratosphere on ebay and if this doesn't fit, I guess I'll get out the toothpicks and glue and then drill new holes.
    Sometimes I wonder what's up with Fender. Even the stock pickguard BARELY fits over one part of the cavity. It's so close to not covering about an inch long space on the strings side, that shielding tape cannot overlap in that area.
    This is the second Mexican P bass I've had that's been like this. It will be my LAST MIM Pbass. Ugh!

2. Yes - its the fault of the mim bass...

Just get a Fender pickguard. I've bought quite a few for MIM and US P and J basses.

The whole "1 inch gap on the strings side" doesn't add up, though.

3. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    The slight gap I'm talking about is an inch LONG, not WIDE. There is barely enough pickguard to cover the control area. On the bass I'm currently shielding and installing new electronics, you can almost see the gap with the OLD (original) pickguard. I know it's the stock guard because I know the previous owner. So, it's the same issue with 3 different pickguards on two MIM basses, one is a '99, one is a 2000.

4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Get a fender-licensed pickguard *specified for MIM P-bass* from a reliable seller. And quit blaming the bass!

5. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    +1

6. I think we need a pic of the 1 inch wide gap.

7. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    That's what I think I did:

The ebay item description says:

Please note that this pickguard will only fit genuine Fender Mexican Standard Precision Basses. It will not fit a Squier.
    Distributed by WD Music

Thanks to all.

8. That's not a Fender product. Its a WD product. I've not had a lot of luck with then. Buy a Fender pickguard.

9. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    If the new one doesn't fit, I might 'plug-n-drill' because I can't put 50 bucks into a new pickguard for a bass that cost me $225, and that I've already put out $$ for new strings, new Original '62 pickup, and new pots/jack. It's not like it's a collector's bass. It's a MIM P that's gonna be gigged.
    Thanks, y'all.

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, I'm not surprised - WD Music or pickguards.com(same thing) suck - they put out a crappy product, and are just a bad company to do business with...

As others said, quit blaming the bass and buy an actual Fender pickguard - and you'll be good to go...

- georgestrings

11. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    what about that ad made you think it was a Fender licensed product?

Did you contact the seller after the first pickguard didn't fit?

I think we need to see some pictures.

12. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I'll try to get a few tonight.

13. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I didn't actually think the second one was a genuine Fender item. I ordered it before i got answers in this thread.

The first seller sent me this answer:
    Hello, sorry it doesn't fit, it is an exact replica confirmed with an authentic fender guard. I sell many with no issues at all. Mexican models can run inconsistent sometimes. What exact model is your bass, how does it not fit? Please send some photos of your guitar if you can, I'd like to see it. You have the choice to return it if you like no problem.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Fender pickguard:

IMAG0162.

WD Music(pickguards.com) pickguard:

IMAG0160.

Same bass in both pics, BTW...

- georgestrings

15. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    You can see the wood starting to drop off to the left of the jack hole in this pic. It's the gap I was speaking of:

This is the original guard.

Attached Files:

16. Are you certain that its a Fender body?

17. HuntYouDown

HuntYouDown

Jan 3, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    I have heard such stories with MIM Jazz, so I decided to just paint mine with Krylon paint. It turned out nicely.

18. Kool, did you get it in a spray can? And how long has it been on? Thanks

19. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    Well guess what - that seller BS'd you. There is nothing inconsistent about pickguard placement on MIM Fenders. Still, he was willing to give you your money back, right?

eBay is the wrong place to get a pickguard IMO. Get one from a fender retailer. they're not too pricey, and it's not worth the headache to save a couple bucks.

20. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012

I've learned a very important lesson, RC! You're absolutely right.