MIM PBass Special - The best fender buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Velkov, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I played a PBass special today. Well, I found love. This will definitely be my next bass. I just don't want to wait until May but that's when I'll have the resources for a new bass. It's got a P and a J pickup, jazz neck, very nice finish and a funny looking gold pickguard. And it sounds a lot better than any other fender import I've tried. The P pickup has all the P sound you would want, and the J pickup adds very good high-mid colour. The J pickup by itself is a little noisy but has a nice sound. The bass is shielded. The decal is one of the nicer looking ones, not like the fat one I got on my MIM Fretless Jazz. And it plays great. I couldn't put it down for an hour, I thought it made me play very well. And it's only $730 Canadian (around $480). It's got the looks, the sound, and it's very comfortable. How can you go wrong for that kind of money? I can't wait till may! Or maybe I should get it for my birthday..:)
  2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I have a Precision Deluxe Special, like the one you describe. I love it. Plays, and sounds really nice.
    Mine is sunburst; I'am going to install a vintage tortoiseshell pickguard, and thumbrest. That should really set it off.
    Save up, it will definetly be worth it IMHO.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the one thing i don't like about it is the single coil bridge pickup. this means the bass ALWAYS hums. replace the pickups with some dimarzios/bartolinis/etc and that bass becomes much much nicer.

4. Ive got a sunburst one as well ... I replaced that nasty gold pickguard with a nice Tort shell one, and installed a thumb rest ... it looks sweet now. too bad I am having a lot of trouble posting a picture of it!!!

Definatly a nice sounding instrument, and I will probably go the way of replacing the Pups someday, but for now everything is good.

I would say 'go for it.'

Later -
  5. I have been considering one of these for my next bass too. I have an MIM Jazz and love but also want a Precision bass for that classic sound. For gigging the Jazz pickup would be more versitile and the Jazz neck would probably be more familiar.

What would be a good replacement pickup combination to get both an accurate P and J bass sound and also get a good mich when the pickups are blended?
  6. the P Special seems more like a J than a P, especially because of the J neck. It's almost like it's a J with but with the one pup changed to a P style.

Don't know much about Fenders, but that's how this bass seems. Or am I missing the point....?

7. I'm still saying the best buy is a Squier Affinity P-Bass, Simple 1 P pickup yes, but it has a Solid Alder body.