Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM PBass Special - The best fender buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Velkov, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I played a PBass special today. Well, I found love. This will definitely be my next bass. I just don't want to wait until May but that's when I'll have the resources for a new bass. It's got a P and a J pickup, jazz neck, very nice finish and a funny looking gold pickguard. And it sounds a lot better than any other fender import I've tried. The P pickup has all the P sound you would want, and the J pickup adds very good high-mid colour. The J pickup by itself is a little noisy but has a nice sound. The bass is shielded. The decal is one of the nicer looking ones, not like the fat one I got on my MIM Fretless Jazz. And it plays great. I couldn't put it down for an hour, I thought it made me play very well. And it's only $730 Canadian (around $480). It's got the looks, the sound, and it's very comfortable. How can you go wrong for that kind of money? I can't wait till may! Or maybe I should get it for my birthday..:)

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I have a Precision Deluxe Special, like the one you describe. I love it. Plays, and sounds really nice.
    Mine is sunburst; I'am going to install a vintage tortoiseshell pickguard, and thumbrest. That should really set it off.
    Save up, it will definetly be worth it IMHO.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the one thing i don't like about it is the single coil bridge pickup. this means the bass ALWAYS hums. replace the pickups with some dimarzios/bartolinis/etc and that bass becomes much much nicer.

jason

4. Ive got a sunburst one as well ... I replaced that nasty gold pickguard with a nice Tort shell one, and installed a thumb rest ... it looks sweet now. too bad I am having a lot of trouble posting a picture of it!!!

Definatly a nice sounding instrument, and I will probably go the way of replacing the Pups someday, but for now everything is good.

I would say 'go for it.'

Later -
    K.

5. I have been considering one of these for my next bass too. I have an MIM Jazz and love but also want a Precision bass for that classic sound. For gigging the Jazz pickup would be more versitile and the Jazz neck would probably be more familiar.

What would be a good replacement pickup combination to get both an accurate P and J bass sound and also get a good mich when the pickups are blended?

6. the P Special seems more like a J than a P, especially because of the J neck. It's almost like it's a J with but with the one pup changed to a P style.

Don't know much about Fenders, but that's how this bass seems. Or am I missing the point....?

John

7. I'm still saying the best buy is a Squier Affinity P-Bass, Simple 1 P pickup yes, but it has a Solid Alder body.