1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM Precision Bass Special Bridge Replacements?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chandman1004, Jan 17, 2017.

1. chandman1004

chandman1004

Jun 28, 2008
    So I would like to replace the vintage style bridge on my MIM precision special. It's just a personal thing, I just don't care for the bridges ( screw type barrel) . I would like a direct drop in , maybe with some lateral adjustment. Preferably hi-mass. Anyone done this ?

2. 20161223_081956_resized (1). I have a badassII bridge on mine.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    All I know is I played my '75 jazz for over two decades with a BadAssII bridge. Then I restored the instrument, and replaced the bridge with a vintage style. No difference in tone, sustain, anything other than a little weight.

4. chandman1004

chandman1004

Jun 28, 2008
    Did it drop right in ? They are a little expensive, If I was to go that route I wonder if the Omega's are direct drop ins..

5. chandman1004

chandman1004

Jun 28, 2008
    Yea, I am not expecting more sustain or anything. Those screw barrels just bug me. Also , while it isn't a huge deal, I would like to be able to adjust side to side a little.

6. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Schaller bridge will let you have some side to side wiggle room. I had one on my warmoth that I sold. I always regretted it b/c it was super easy to bump out of adjust when changing strings.

I like the babicz bridges these days. They go nowhere rock solid hi mass.

7. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    you could just replace the saddles.

8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Side to side? As in string spacing? You need a Hipshot bridge for that.

9. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    The schaller bridge does it too. I had one. Seemed like such a good idea, but the string saddles are on a little wheel (screw) that lets you adjust right to left to your liking. You just have to be darn sure you know where the original placement was because bumping it around while changing strings is inevitable. It doesn't lock down once you dial it in. Seriously a pain in my book. Apart from that it was a fine bridge. Nice high mass-type and very good quality.

10. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The Hipshot string spacing adjustment doesn't move unless you want it to. That's why I suggested the Hipshot. They have a Hipshot "A" style that's a direct drop in for a Fender bridge like yours.