Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Squire P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by o0obruceleeo0o, Dec 2, 2003.

1. o0obruceleeo0o

o0obruceleeo0o

Nov 21, 2003
    Oxford, NC
    Hello everyone. I have been under the impression that all Squiers are made in Asian countries (ie. Japan, Korea etc...). So when I noticed that my Squier was made in Mexico I was kind of startled. I am just curious if anyone could give an explanation for this. Not sure when it was made as I got it used, and didn't ask. The serial number is MN410422. Above the serial number in big letters is the Fender logo, and way off at the end of the head it says Squier Series in tiny letters, the same size as the serial number print. I looked around the net but couldnt find anything exceptt hat the letters MN in the serial number mean it's made in Mexico and it was possibly made in the 90's. If anyone has any info, please post... thanks :)

edit: Fixed my spellings of "Squier"

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im also curious about these Squires ..ever since i saw one like this i been like..wha?

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    According to the serial number it was made in 1994.

When did Squier branch off as their own brand?

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The older Squire stuff (MIM) is not that bad. A guy I used to play with favored his Squire strat over his American strat. He felt it had more "soul."

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    sorry...Squier.

6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Back when Squier was starting out, their stuff was pretty damn good. My bass teacher had a 80's Squire P that just played and sounded awesome. It just felt right. The consistency rate back then was alot higher.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    This is not realy a Squier. It's kind of a half breed. An ex-girlfriend of mine has a strat that is the same thing. It is in between the newer mexicans and squiers in the fender heirarchy. So it really is a fender, just a less expensive model. The one my ex has plays wonderfully, but the pickups are a bit lacking. But, as with all instruments, you must play them before you decide if you like them. So have fun with your real Fender!

8. o0obruceleeo0o

o0obruceleeo0o

Nov 21, 2003
    Oxford, NC
    Thank you tmo!! I think I need some new pickups. The little metal "dots" (not sure what to call them) are kind of rusty :meh:. Is there anything I can try to clean them with?

9. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    those are called poles, and at least from what i've seen, if they're a little rusted, it doesn't really affect the sound. but if you think it does, or you don't like how it looks then....

10. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Thank you tmo!! I think I need some new pickups. The little metal "dots" (not sure what to call them) are kind of rusty . Is there anything I can try to clean them with?

Scotch Brite should shine them right up. They aren't really hurt.

tk