Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM Standard P-Bass or Highway 1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jwsamuel, Jun 7, 2005.

1. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    I have a 2004 Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass. I have the chance to get a Fender Highway 1 Precision Bass for my MIM P-Bass and about $200.

Any thoughts on whether or not that deal is worth doing? I only have a bass for fooling around on and playing with friends. I am not in a band and do not gig.

I guess I am wondering if the Highway 1 is $200 better than what I have.

Jim

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I would think that if you're going to upgrade from a MIM, get a MIA. The highway 1 is just a step in between. And all 3 of them do the same job. Wait for a chance to upgrade to a real MIA.

3. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I have a Highway one P and a MIM J. If you have access to playing and hearing the HW1, you have the necessary tools to make an informed decision, i.e. do you like the sound and playability enough to pay $200?

Have you set up the bass you have, good action, intonation, etc...?

FWIW, it seems the MIM's have a bit more variability in terms of quality than the MIA's. That said, you still can find MIM's that play and sound great. My mexican J is one of my favorites (especially after dropping in some NJ4's).

If you can't tell a significant difference in playability and sound, I vote with sticking with what you have. Technically, they shouldn't sound all that different, I mean they are both P's right? If there were a big difference, I suspect it would be in the fit and finish.

good luck.

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I have owned both the Fender MIM jazz and the Fender Highway Jazz at the same time. Here is my comparison although I realise you are considering the P bass;

- Finish - MIM finish is far more resistant than the Highway, which scuffs and dents easily and shows it's bruises.

- Sound - I preferred the sound of the Highway pups over the MIM. I also found Highway had better sustain. Some say it's because of the flat nitrose lacquer but I dont buy that.

- Playability - I found the neck on the Highway had a slightly better feel to me than the MIM. The neck width differed slightly and seemed narrower on the MIM, which I liked. Check your Highway P neck compared to your MIM. This may/may not be the case. The Highway was also noticeably lighter weight than the MIM

Would I swap a 2004 MIM P bass and 200 for a Highway? Personally, no. Whether you gig or not you cannot go far wrong using an MIM Fender. They are good value for money basses.

Hope this helps...rather than confuses you.

5. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll stick with the MIM I have. I know what I have but would not be able to try the Highway 1 until after the deal was done. So, it sounds like I am best off sticking with what I have. I'll keep the $200 and if I get far enough along on my playing, it'll be the start of my high-end bass fund.

Jim